Monday, November 23, 2009

You Gotta Have Friends

So Wifey made the mistake of eating some sorbitol laced yogurt Saturday night, and suffered the consequences. While I was downstairs at 5 am getting her Pepto Bismol, the phone rang. I thought it was Wifey calling to tell me to hurry tings up, but it wasn't: it was an old friend calling to tell me his son had been arrested.

I sprang into action, such as a lawyer ever really springs, other than to go sign up a lucrative case, and figured out a plan. I called my friend Joel and left a message, since I don't know NOTHING about criminal law.

Throughout the am, I spoke to my friend and we devised a plan, and then I went with him to a hearing to get the boy out under house detention. He's charged with, essentially, teenaged boy stupidity, and fortunately neither he nor anyone else got hurt.

Joel is coming back to town and will take over from here.

I spoke to the young man, who probably DOES need a dose of a good ass kicking, and told him he cost hs father at least 5 years off his life. I asked him to agree with me, man to man, to take no more years. He tearfully agreed.

Later yesterday evening, after a PRODIGIOUS nap I took while the NFL played quietly on tv, Wifey and I took our frineds Lew and Maria to dinner. Lew is my hand surgeon friend who treated D1.

He's opening his office Friday JUST to see her, and follow up with her progress while she's visiting from UF. I protested with him, and said she could stay an extra day (Monday) for her visit, but he was having none of it. His oldest goes to college in Atlanta, and he wouldn't want to have her miss school, he said.

I guess there's a way to go through life without the help of friends, but I 've never understood it. This voyage on Earth is fraught with misery. I wouldn't want to go it alone.

The father of the teenaged Defendant hugged me at the courthouse and cried. I made him laugh by reminding him that if HIS father were alive and present at the proceedings, the young man would have begged to be kept in lockup rather than face his wrath. I think the young man would benefit from a bit of his late grandfather's brand of parenting. I think he'll get it now, and will turn out just fine.

Joel gets the friend thing, too. He's always helping out his peeps' kids. He sees the big picture as well...

No comments: