Sunday, November 15, 2009

From Tiny Acorns...

So I went over to my friend Mike's yesterday to watch the Canes. Ugh! They lost, and what's worse --they're getting crappier as the season progresses --the opposite of what a fan wants to see.

But, there was an upside: spending some time with Mike's boy Chris. Chris is 14, and watched part of the game with us along with 2 of his buddies. Chris was always, it seemed, the little guy in our group --his older sister Amanda is D2's age.

But he's become, as D1 remarked when she last saw him, " a regular person." He's funny, and into school, and a tremendous baseball player.

It's nice to have younger kids in my life, as my own girls approach 18 and 21. I'm lucky in that regard, as my close friends started reproducing after Wifey and I did, so there are still plenty of the young-ins around.

Eric and Barry's boys are wonderful, though the older Josh is pretty grown up already. He's a scholar and golf star, and driving! Young Josh and Scott are still in middle school, so I get to keep my finger on the pulse of what's up with the young teen world.

Scott and I are Facebook (tm) friends, and he's a budding writer. His father, though a doctor, is probably the best writer of all of my friends, and Scott inherited his abilities. It's great to read about the ups and downs of 7th grade from such a keen observer.

Meanwhile, D2 is due back from D.C. this afternoon. Wifey and I are heading over to the Book Fair, and from there to MIA to hear about the adventures from the Capitol.

D1 is in Gatorland, winding down her second to last college semester. Where DID that time go?

Oh well, from the younger crop, at least I can still vicariously experience middle school.

No comments: