Sunday, November 22, 2009

Ugly People

So D2 and I went to a fine breakfast with Barry and his boys (Paul made a cameo appearance) and then watched the Canes wake up for the second half to beat Duke. It was a glorious day, and D2 learned that cough medicine can be hallucinogenic!

She napped on the way home, and I called Wifey, and we decided to have an early dinner at Tony Roma's, a place we rarely visit. D2 and I sat into our booth, and she told me she knew the folks behind us. They were a family from our old neighborhood.

I'll call them Warren and Lana, since those are their names. I remember them being the local scolds and malcontents. Warren, a lifetime teacher, had a chip on his shoulder the size of a boulder. He once went to a boundary meeting and made such a horse's ass of himself, in his booming baritone voice, that I remember it 12 years later.

They both were two of the most sanctimonious scolds I had ever met. They thought that the fact that they were teachers, instead of more highly paid professionals, gave them some sort of moral high ground. Meanwhile, they lived in a very nice house, and seemed to enjoy a fine lifestyle.

Anyway -- back to the restaurant. There was a South American family next table, with a 3 year old boy who was laughing and dancing. At one point, the child shrieked, and Warren yelled at him, "NO! No screaming!" He got up and looked for the manager.

The manager came over, and moved them away. As she walked away, Lana leaned over to the family, with her face that's as attractive as her sour personality, and hissed "Your child is obnoxious!"

The family looked befuddled, and looked back at me. I said "Listen --I know those two from our old neighborhood, and THEY are the most obnoxious, sour people in the world. Don't take it personally."

I think D2 realized before I did that this family spoke ZERO English, so both the scold and my attempted mollification fell flat.

So, angry, miserable people from years ago remain that way. The truth is, the little boy WAS a bit loud, but Warren and Lana reacted like the nasty people they are. I only hope that neighter of these 2 is still in the classroom. I can just imagine the misery they'd each cause in their little fiefdoms...

I don't get it. I was out on a Saturday with my beloved daughter and wife. We were enjoying each other's company, and Tony Roma's mediocre food. How could their be anger and negativity? How could an ebullient child cause so much nastiness...

We headed home, and D2 taught Wifey all about Lady Gaga, a performer she's going to see in January.

And then --D1 came onto the screen via an I Chat! She was all dressed up for a Chonga Party at UF, where the girls, I guess, try to lampoon a culture that lamppons itself.

D1's daughter made Wifey squeal with delight. Madeline the puppy has clearly become the favorite to her.

All I know is, as we shared in the laughter and inside family jokes, and warmth, I wondered what life could do to folks like Warren and Lana to make them so bitter.

No comments: