Saturday, November 14, 2009

Quince

Tomorrow is my law firm's 15th anniversary. On November 15, 1994 Paul and I incorporated, and were "off to the races," as he'd say. We planned to practice together for 10 years, and then move on. Somehow we're still slouching along...

15 years ago, Ds 1 and 2 were little girls. D1 was in 2nd grade, and D2 in preschool. Wifey had the main responsibility of raising them, as I was putting in a lot of time at the firm. We'd work on the cases by day, and host referral sources by evening. They were heady times for us, professionally.

Yesterday we went to lunch at the Capital Grille, the steak place that opened around the time we did, and where we'd typically celebrate victories. Mirta came with us, along with Norma and Andrea, our 10 year secretaries, now retired. We toasted and laughed, and I admotted something to all of them which is already an open secret: I've hated being a lawyer since about 2 years out of law school, and being around all of them was the only thing that made it palatable for me.

Norma started the firm with us, but shortly after got pregnant with a change of life baby, and had to be on bed rest. Andrea had just had her 3rd child, and came in when we moved to our long time address. Albert and Mirta came aboard a few years later, and Albert now has his own firm. Mirta changed from receptionist to our prima donna last January, and has been running the operation since then.

A decade and a half has really flown by. The years were truly packed with, as Jimmy Buffett sings, good times and riches and son of a bitches.

There's a virtual certainty that there won't be another 15 years at the firm, at least for me.

But for now, I say to all at my work: Feliz Quince!

No comments: