Sunday, November 29, 2009

More Boredom (And it's Great!)

So yesterday I DID leave the house, to go to the barbecue store to buy more firewood for my outdoor fire pit. I think the firepit is my favorite possession.

Wifey bought it for me at Target for about $40. I light fires in it on cool nights, and just sit watching the flames, mesmerized. I love the smell and feel of the fire, surrounded by the cool night trees and cool night air.

While I was at my second stop, at Home Depot, I ran into an old friend. Wifey and I stopped socializing with him and his wife last year, after it occurred to us that most of their conversations centered around bashing people we knew. We've decided, Wifey and I, to eliminate, as much as possible, those sorts of toxic people from our lives.

The fellow asked about Wifey, and put in a few jabs about whether she's STILL not working, and STILL not cooking, keeping house, etc... I sort of smiled. Then he asked when we were going to get together again, and I sort of changed the subject, in my charming, disarming way --asking about HIS kids, etc...

I got into my car amazed at the disconnect: come spend more time with me so I can have the ability to make your wife feel bad about herself! Nah -- I'm taking a pass there.

So, it's Sunday am, and our friend Elizabeth just left for Orlando. She came to town for Thanksgiving, and used us as her base. She's working part time these days and taking Masters classes full time, to become a Nurse Practitioner. I'm very impressed she has the focus and energy to earn a graduate degree at this stage of her life. She's always learning and improving herself.

AND, she's our one houseguest who LOVES our sloppy Basset Hound. She had 2 herself, and understnads their quirkiness. Miss Molly is grieving Elizabeth's departure. Either that or she's just snoozing in the sun because that's what she does.

D1 and her boyfriend are spending their final day here before they leave for Gainesville tomorrow. D1 is sleeping in.

Wifey turned to me yesterday and said "Isn't it wonderful to have the house filled with family and friends?"

It is, Wifey, it is...

No comments: