Thursday, November 1, 2007

No Saints Day

I'm up extremely early, even by my lark-like standard, to catch a flight to NC.

Last night was Halloween, and a little something happened that was lovely.

Daughter #2 was home with her friends, and wifey and I waited on our porch for trick or treaters. A large number came, despite the blustery weather caused by Tropical Storm Noel churning over Cuba.

A large group of kids came, nearly 20, with about 6 parents in tow. As they were ready to leave, a deluge came, in one of those waves. We invited the kids in, and under our porch, and enoyed their giggles and excitement. Daughter #2 got everyone bottled water and sodas, and we chatted with the parents about schools, the neighborhood, etc...

It was so pleasant.

The rain passed, and the group moved on. The kids high fived me, and the dads shook my hand and thanked us for providing refuge. Earlier in the day, my rabbi friend was in my office discussing Torah. A major tenet is giving rest to strangers at your gate. Funny.

Giving shelter from the storm. Isn't that what it's all about?

No comments: