Monday, November 12, 2007

Veteran's Day

Today is Veteran's Day, and I'll be going to a cemetery, but not for the usual reason. My in laws have been asking wifey to find and buy them a burial plot, and we're going to Mt. Nebo in Kendall later to check out a "slightly used" one. By "slightly used," I mean a resale of a space that some prior purchaser no longer wants, since they've moved. Still, my black humor LOVES this whole affair, and I look forward to an afternoon filled with deadly puns and double entendres.

My father ABHORRED the funeral industry. He had read exposes over the years about their awful sales tactics, and decided to make a stand by being cremated and having his remains scattered over the ocean. Of course, his choice flouts Jewish law. When I asked him about an afterlife, and what becomes of a person after death, he sat back, stroked his chin, and said simply "bones."

Since I'm fiercely proud to be my father's son, I'm taking the same route, as is wifey. Our friend the Chasid is properly scandalized by these choices. The orthodox, like all primitive cultures, are obsessed with the after life, and the fact that, if you're cremated, when the messiah (Moshiach) comes, you won't have all your parts and pieces to use when he revives the dead. Along with my Dad, I'll take my chances.

My in laws have chosen to stick closer to Jewish law, and want a traditional burial. We've learned that buying the stuff before (pre need) costs about 1/2 as buying it when you die (at need). So, at least we're going to save them some money.

Plus, I've been to Mt. Nebo before for a few funerals. It's a peaceful enough place. Oy, the jokes are starting already!

Maybe afterwards I'll drive over to the ocean to honor my father on this Veteran's Day. I always talk to him when I'm at the sea. But, truth be told, he was never a proud veteran --he loathed the stupidity of the military, and its absurd bureacracy. He served his four years, as did many of his compatriots, simpy because it was his duty, as he saw it, not his choice.

So, off the the park of all parks. IT's been a pretty boring day off, and I guess I'm dying to go...

No comments: