Saturday, November 3, 2007

Losing Mental Acuity

Well, I had a smooth trip to NC. I took care of my business, then checked in to the glorious Inn on the Biltmore Estate. I hiked a bit, and had a fine dinner in the Inn's library, as the sun set over the western hills.

The next morning, I ordered breakfast in my room, which had a patio overlooking the valley and Biltmore Estate. There was fog gathered in the lowest points of the valley, and I watched the sun burn it off. The leaves were a burst of Fall color. I drank my coffee and smiled.

I then went to Malaprops, and bought a few books, and chuckled at the Asheville denizens. "Excuse me," said a tiny fellow to the barista, "are these carrot muffins PURE vegan-friendly?" I told him I had a friend who was vegan before becoming Catholic. The little man didn't laugh.

I drove back to Charlotte, early for my flight as always, and was stopped by the TSA agent who checked my internet printed boarding passes. "This flight was yesterday, sir!" And so it was. When I bought my tickets, I made the return flight the same day as my initial flight. Since my flight home left 5 hours after arrival, the computer didn't stop me.

I went to the ticket agent, and learned the 415 flight was "oversold." I bought the very last ticket on the 1015 pm flight, and got on the 415 standby list. As I watched the entire 415 flight board, the gate agent gave me the sad news: there were 2 standby openings, and I was #3 on the list.

I then spent another 5 and 1/2 hours at the Charlotte Douglas Airport. I had dinner, and a few beers. IT was now 530. Four hours to go. I found a US Airways executive lounge, paid a $40 admission fee, and read the entire Charlotte Observer (the Catawba River is polluted) and the entire NY TImes. I then read an entire New Yorker magazine, started an "Economist," and then paid to use the internet for another 1/2 hour or so. Somehow, at a snail's pace, it was time to board.

Well, hopefully my lesson was learned. It's not enough to stop multi tasking, I now have to double and triple check all I do.

I woke today to a beautiful morning. I told my neighbor Sherri I brought the hint of cool air back with me from NC. I didn't tell her about my "adventure."

No comments: