Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Food Glorious Food

I'm 46, and I really, really love to eat. Today, I saw a client in Hialeah, a working class city here in Miami Dade County, mostly Cuban, and afterwards I went to a great sandwich shop on W 12th Avenue called Sarussi Cafeteria. They've been there since 1965, and make a chicken sandwich with a marinated breast, onions, toasted Cuban bread, and the little potato spears that we used to get with lunch in grade school. It may have been the most delicious sandwich I've ever had, except for a corned beef on rye, which, if I ever fail to respect, will cause my father's ghost to come down and haunt me.

Anyway, it was great, and HUGE. You'd have thought that was enough food for the day, but NO --Barry's on his way over, and we're heading out for sushi next door. More food. I love it.

When I was a child, I hated to eat. Apparently I was very skinny, and my mother remembers buying "slim" pants and having to take them in. Once I passed puberty, though, it all changed, and I've never looked back.

I wish I could report that I was a foodie, but I'm not. I love many simple things, like Cantonese Chinese, pizza, a good hamburger. Hey --as I've already reported, a great sandwich does it for me.

So, it appears this extra 50 lbs I carry around isn't going anywhere for awhile. Besides, compared to many folks I know, I look positively tubercular.

Ah --Barry draws near, and I just told him that the Thai/Japanese place next door has the best bowl of wonton soup in the City. I love to eat.

1 comment:

TrudySewist said...

What???? You love to eat? I am flabbergasted. Let's face it, food is the boss. And I think a great sandwich is the height of culinary art. I would rather have a well made sandwich with just the right amount of condiments than a steak dinner. And something on the side like good chips or sweet carrots or a good garlic pickle. M-M-M-M, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. It may be a good thing we do not live closer or those 50 pounds could be a thing of the past.