Monday, November 19, 2007

The Land of Our People...

Daughter #1 called wifey tonight with exciting news: she was selected for the "Birthright " program, along with her roommate and some UF fraternity brothers, to go to Israel this December.

Birthright was funded with over $1 Billion (with a B) by a JEwish philanthropist who wanted all Diaspora JEws to visit the Homeland before they were 25. Trips leave from NYC, LA, and Miami (the nation's 3 Hymietowns), and this trip leaves from JFK.

I visited Israel with my parents when I was 8, as our first trip on an airplane. I still remember a good deal, although the most exciting part to me, a junior NASA-phile, was watching Neil Armstrong's moon walk from a store front TV in Tel Aviv.

I want to go back.

Daughter #1 tends to like luxury trips, and the Birthright trips are the opposite. They take the young adults to cultura sites like Masada, and Kibbutzim, and really teach them about their heritage. I'm told they don't tolerate princess-like behavior. We'll see...

My father was always more of a Zionist than observant Jew, and I'm the same. I'm anxious to hear my daughter's take on her mother's native country. I hope she likes it, but not too much --lest we have to buy a condo in Hertzalea someday. We could do worse...

3 comments:

edna1314 said...

Hertzlea was the town I spent a month in visiting my grandmother with my family during my 13th summer.
I fell in love with Israel then, and it's been a lifelong love affair. To this day, I would love to live there.

Erica said on her birthright trip, they were taken on so many challenging hikes that the minute they sat down on their seats on the bus the whole group would instantly fall asleep from exhaustion.

edna1314 said...

Hertzlea was the town I spent a month in visiting my grandmother with my family during my 13th summer.
I fell in love with Israel then, and it's been a lifelong love affair. To this day, I would love to live there.

Erica said on her birthright trip, they were taken on so many challenging hikes that the minute they sat down on their seats on the bus the whole group would instantly fall asleep from exhaustion.

in the vanguard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.