Sunday, November 18, 2007

Select A Seat

Yesterday was the day long time season ticket holders were invited to Dolphins Stadium to pick out "Club Seats" for the Hurricanes. My appointment was at 10 am, so, as usual, I left very early. I had a delightful drive in my convertible under blue skies and temps in the 60s, singing along with PAul McCartney to "Oh Darling" as I drove North on the Interstate.

I fibbed to the officials at the stadium, and told them I had lost my appointment card, so they took me at 930. I bought 2 Club Seats for me, and 2 for my partner in the end zone. The seats were a "bargain" at $900 each. The truth is, it really IS the civilized way to watch a game, since you can watch the game, go inside the gorgeous Club Area to eat and drink, and then return to your seats, which are covered and cooled by huge outdoor AC ducts.

Dr. Barry met me as I was finishing up, and we went to sit in the new seats. IT's pretty cool being in an empty stadium, and the enormous TVs played scenes from the Canes 5 championship seasons. Barry and I watched and remnisced, and the populist in Barry wondered how all these folks had the money to spend a minimum of $900 per seat for 6 college games (many people were buying skybox seats, which cost a minimum of $2500/seat, and you have to buy 10 of them!).

We left to go to Mo's Bagels in Aventura. Mo's is named for Mohammed, no fool, who realized his name before a bagel shop in Aventura wouldn't be good for business. We ate heartily, and then returned to the stadium to meet Eric, who was selecting his Club seats.

What a scene! There were at least 2000 people on a very slow moving line, and few things are as funny as thousands of rich folks angry in a line. The stadium folks tried to pacify the upscale crowd, all of whom were saying "I have to wait hours to spend thousands of dollars for a losing team???!!!"

Eric ended up filling out an absentee order, and leaving with Dana and the kids. They had a late afternoon Bar Mitzvah, and couldn't wait. Barry enjoyed grinding Eric, famous for his meticulous planning, about why he didn't come early like I did, to get prompt service. We all decided that my being a lawyer immunized me from following rules.

The trip home only took about 30 minutes, and this time I sang along with Springsteen. After bemoaning the loss of the Orange Bowl, ad nauseam, I've accepted the reality of having to watch my team in the best stadium in the country instead of the most decrepit.

Change is inevitable. And, when I start to miss the old days, I'll just have to step inside the Club Lounge on game days and order another mojito.

No comments: