Saturday, November 10, 2007

A World Without Us

So last night wifey and I went out to dinner with my friends Ken and Joelle. I've known Ken since 7th grade, and he and Joelle just moved here. Ken's a pediatric radiologist, and Joelle's a law professor at FIU's spiffy new school.

We parked on Miracle Mile in the Gables, and went to a restuarant with a packed happy hour. Next door there wan another one also packed, and the scene was really alive.

We had a nice dinner and then walked down the Mile to a book store. People were out, walking and drinking, having a good time. It occurred to us that we typically stay home, and don't take part in this whole scene. We felt old.

Today we walked the funny looking dog and enjoyed the cool November weather. I got a call from Daughter #2 to pick her up from her sleepover and drop her at Driver's Ed. At noon my in laws are coming over, so I'm leaving for awhile (once a month is MORE than enough for me to encounter them), and then, at 330, Daughter #2 and I leave for the last waltz.

Yes, tonight the Canes play their final game in the storied Orange Bowl, and we'll be there for the final tailgate party in lot E-2, final game, final everything. As I've said before, they'll be some grown men and women crying there tonight.

So, soon there'll be another "scene" I won't be a part of. What's left?

I guess it's true that humans all crave being a part of something larger than themselves. We all want to belong, to a church, to an extended family, to a "nation" of sports fans.

To be, in a nutshell, part of some world.

1 comment:

TrudySewist said...

In your last paragraph you wrote,"....We all want to belong..." How true, how true! I belong to many groups and the people in these groups have many of the same interests as me. But they aren't family and family is my favorite group. Thanksgiving is next week and I can't wait. If Susan and her sons were joining us it would be heaven but that isn't going to happen. So, we will all be happy with the 15 of us who are here and send our love to Susan long distance by phone and make her part of our gathering and our group of which she also belongs.