Monday, October 29, 2007

Autumn

I've lived in Miami nearly 30 years, and love the climate most of the time. I remember the REAL weather of the Northeast --the steel gray skies and freezing rain that makes up much of the year. Still, the one season I do miss is Autumn.

I used to love walking home on an October night, feeling the evening chill, and smelling wood burning fireplaces. I bought myself a fire pit and chimnea here, and get to use it maybe 30 nights or so, in January and February, in a feeble attempt to recreate that Fall atmosphere.

I try to experience Autumn by traveling each year, and I 'm set to visit Asheville, NC on Thursday. I checked the weather forecast: 60s during the day; 40s at night. I can't wait --my body needs to chill a bit, literally. I also checked the foliage report and learned that the area around the Biltmore Estate, where I'll be staying, has "peaked" last week. This means I can walk through the forest and enjoy the color and smell.

I've stayed at the Biltmore Estate Inn before, and it's delightful. They have a big patio area with rocking chairs, where you can look across the valley to the Estate. I'm thinking of spending a few hours there with a hot cuppa (as the Brits say) and maybe read an entire NY Times.

Downtown Asheville has my second favorite bookstore in the US, Malaprops, and I may pay that fine shop a visit. Asheville has a hippie vibe, and there are many colorful characters there --the better to study human nature while browsing the aisles.

So --if all goes well, I can get my Fall fix. Maybe by the time I return, we'll be getting our first cool fronts passing through. Still --November 10th needs to be a hot day. The Canes play for the final time in the Orange Bowl, and it'll be only appropriate if it's a hot, steamy, sweaty night game.

But in the meantime, Asheville here I come. As James Taylor sings, in my mind I'm going to Carolina. It's only Monday, and I'm already there.

1 comment:

susanhopkins said...

HEY- nothing was funny!
So, I'll follow your lead and just remember how it used to be in NY- real weather for real people- not the
tropical never-ending Hawaii-shirt wearing stuff.
Frozen toes,soggy shoes, hot chocolate and snow days!
Have a wonderful trip- Sue