Thursday, April 30, 2020

Vodka Thursday

I so look forward to my thrice weekly or so happy hours. And I always drink the same thing: vodka from my freezer with a splash of tonic water. It's become my pandemic drink, as opposed to normal times, when I eschew the tonic water.

A few days ago, my man Scott told me to expect a FedEx gift from him -- some Founding Fathers vodka, a local craft distilled vodka we enjoyed during his Maryland graduation weekend last year. I guess I had that info stored, and decided to reciprocate.

So yesterday I went online and found a Total Wine right near Big Daddy G and Josh and Donna's house, and ordered several bottles of Tito's and Ketel to help them through the plague. Donna had gone out, but arrived home just as the delivery arrived -- success!

I then went online to order some stuff for Scott in Arlington, VA, and learned something distressing: Virginia doesn't allow hard liquor to be delivered! What???? It was true -- I went on a local site, and Total, and when I went to check out, got the same message: no dice (or vodka). So I bought Scott a gift card, which is due to be delivered in a few days -- and there's a Total less than a half mile from his apartment.

So I received AND gave vodka to my dudes. A true gift of love.

Meanwhile, Kenny and I enjoyed a nice FaceTime meet at 5 -- he drank some craft beer -- and we solved the world's problems as we imbibed.

At 5:45 I signed onto a Zoom toast for Lisa, a family friend who turned 60. There were people from all over attending -- wearing her favorite colors, white and pink.

I had on a white "Fear the Tie" T shirt from the Al Golden era at UM. I kept the camera high -- so the orange didn't disrupt the virtual color scheme.

It was lovely, but a bit sad, too, as we looked on Lisa and Bob's beautiful house on the bay in Miami Beach. We were privileged to be invited to lovely parties there -- we all wished we could physically be together again.

But for now -- virtual it is.

The plague news continues to be cautiously optimistic -- it appears South Florida has plateaued. 

In the mean time -- vodka helps. A lot.

No comments: