Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Hello Vodka? It's me...Dave

Ah, the happiness and escape of a few adult beverages continue. Last night, Kenny set up a Zoom happy hour, and it was a fine one. Dr. Eric and his boy Josh were there -- Josh was gourmet cooking for his new wife and himself, and it was great to catch up with him. Barry and his boys joined in -- Scott from Virginia, Josh in the Pines. We laughed, and toasted. The docs shared cautious optimism about the progression of the plague. We toasted to its defeat...

Wifey still thinks I should drink each night, but I don't prefer it. I enjoy having something to look forward to. But just in case, I ordered reinforcements today. Vintage Liquors brought by 2 Tito's, and One Ketel One -- each 1.75 liters.  Normally, one of those lasts several months -- I only drink when guests join me, and typically have my adult beverages in restaurants with family and friends. But with that cut off -- I get through a 1.75 liter in about 10 days.

I also want to make sure the Ds and their men are properly provisioned. Today I called Big Daddy's in the Grove, and had 2 bottles of casamigos mezcal, along with a Hendricks and Tito's delivered. D2 and Jonathan thanked me. I long for the time we can toast together on their balcony with the beautiful view of Sailboat Bay.

And D1 is several weeks away from her first Mother's Day! I thought about us sending her flowers -- but went more practical. I got her to be a fan of Stag's Leap Petit Syrah, and she has a glass with dinner each evening. So for MD, I ordered enough bottles to be delivered to get her and Joey through any reasonable quarantine. It'll be delivered the Friday before that auspicious Sunday.

Yesterday a funny thing happened. Bo, the crippled Spaniel, is still somehow a very effective lizard killer. He typically goes after the little geckos, and if I can't hold him, sends them to their reptilian rewards... I sat down, buzzed from the happy hour, and the little Bo took off. Next thing I knew a pretty large animal ran up my shirt, perched on my long hair, and then jumped away.

It was a green Cuban anole -- a good foot long and plenty thick. It jumped from me to the accordion shutter -- Bo in pursuit, and me frantically swiping at it, though it was long gone. Had it been Wifey, there would have been a scream that would have brought the police. As it was, I laughed.

Today I took a long am walk with Jeff -- it was a beautiful 66 degrees. Then I received the vodka reinforcements, and then a nap to a documentary Wifey played about Warner brothers.  I think there'll be another walk around sunset.

Oh -- I did some legal work, too. I had to draft a bad faith letter for a friend, against her own carrier. It was good to actually use that part of my brain again.

So the days blend, each to each.  Our little grandson always makes us smile. Our new grand dog, too. We miss them so.

But Friday, Joey set up a shabbas toast, like last week. I think we may visit this weekend -- spaced out, of course, for infection prevention.

Each night I ask the Big Man for a Jonas Salk or Albert Sabin of our time -- with greater haste. Dr. Kenny pointed out that a LOT of great minds are on task -- and with genetic sequencing available that the polio killers wouldn't have dreamed to have. So hopefully there'll be a vaccine, and we can get about normal life.

Until then -- I got plenty of vodka for the glorious cocktail parties on Zoom.

No comments: