Saturday, April 11, 2020

New Socks -- A Simple Pleasure

My anxiety walking continues daily. An off day, I put on 3-4 miles on my sneakers' soles. Most days I near 6. My record is 11.

During week 2, I ordered a new pair of New Balance kicks -- my existing shoes were nearing the end of useful life. I took a proud picture and sent it to the Ds -- I rarely buy myself stuff, let alone top line sneakers. The Ds approved, but noticed my crappy socks -- cheap and bunched up. Metro Man wasn't built in a single pandemic, I responded.

D1 wasn't having it. She ordered and sent me a pack of Bombas -- apparently the sock of the future. I tried them, and I feel like I did when I was 9 and my Mom bought me a pair of PF Flyers.

PF Flyers were advertised as a sneaker that made a mediocre athlete into near Olympic level. I needed new sneaks, anyway, and asked if we could avoid my usual Keds. I put on the pair, and could swear they worked. I leapt around the little league bases. I pivoted better on the basketball court. Ah -- the power of suggestion.

But these Bombas really are springy and comfortable. They give some more spring to my step on my constitutionals. And -- it reminded me that in my spoiled world, sometimes the most simple addition is the greatest.

Yesterday was another slow day. Indeed, I walked a lot -- mostly talking to Paul about the world and the stock markets. There was an exquisite FaceTime with our grandson -- Wifey making lots of funny noises to try to get him to laugh over the camera.

He's a week away from 4 months old, and our missing him is getting far worse. He's so chubby and adorable -- we miss holding him in actuality, instead of virtually.

Later, I was walking the strange rescue dog, and D2 FaceTimed -- we got to walk my low riding dog, and her majestic tall dog at the same time. It was lovely. I asked about their meals, and they were getting into a bit of a rut, so Dadber Eats is coming to the rescue.

I picked out a local restaurant in the Grove, and tonight plan to have delivered to D2 and Jonathan a gourmet spread -- with some craft cocktails, to boot. I want a picture of the newlyweds enjoying on their balcony, overlooking Sailboat Bay. That will give me pleasure.

The sun is now up, and I plan my first walk. Jeff texted -- we had one walk together, and he asked to be included, but yesterday wasn't answering his phone. He texted he had fallen back asleep -- would I call him again? I shall -- and maybe today he will accompany me for part of the local trek.

Either way -- I have those super socks now to propel me through the 'hood. My feet are enjoying the pandemic, at least.

No comments: