Monday, April 13, 2020

Doing The Time

First -- shout out today to the woman who brought me into the world. My Mom's birthday is today -- she would have been 100. Wow. She made it to 93 -- still wow. The Ds each texted me acknowledgment. D1 says she speaks to her grandma on her daily walks to Biscayne Bay. That warms me.

Anyway, last night I was engaged in my nightly ritual. Around 9 or maybe 10, I go upstairs, which I have all to myself on account of Wifey's bad knee -- she's been sleeping in D2's bed, rather than tackle the stairs.

I take a scalding shower, and then go outside, naked, to my balcony. I recline in a chaise and feel the wonderful breezes of the night. I meditate. I reflect. I pray.

I recalled a talk I had with a fellow named Arthur some years back. Arthur, now 69, was a major weed dealer in Philly. He was arrested and charged. The Feds offered him a year if he gave up his supplier. He said had he done that, it would have been a death sentence -- so instead he got 7 years.

After he was released, he came to Miami, and I got to spend several hours talking with him about his long prison experience. Fortunately, most of it was in a camp -- no guards, even, but if you walked away, you got sent to a place much worse.  He spent his time hanging with white collar criminals -- lots of corrupt government guys from Jersey and Philly. Still -- 7 years...

He said that the first few months were very tough, realizing he had no way out. But then, one morning, he had an epiphany -- he could do the time. Something just came to him and said -- he would endure. After that -- the days would just go by, and, eventually, he got his freedom.

I was heartened by that memory. This quarantine will NOT be 7 years -- nowhere near it. It may be another month. It will be probably more like a year, until a vaccine is found, that we won't really return to normal.

I was talking with Eric the other day -- now alone in his house, lest he bring the virus home to his wife. She is staying with her daughter, son in law, and new baby granddaughter.

Would either of us fly anywhere, before there was a vaccine? Probably not.

The good news for Wifey and me is that those most sacred to us live here in Miami -- so staying local is just fine. If we can't travel until next year -- well -- it's ok.

Had D2 and Jonathan still lived in NYC -- well -- we would have had to make plans. A road trip -- last one I did to NYC was with my parents in 1981. But I guess we would.

As it is, the days will just keep slogging on, I hope. We really, really miss holding our grandson. He turns 4 months this Friday, and is so chubby and adorable.

We miss being able to have D2 and Jonathan's new puppy frolic with our dogs.

I miss the every other Friday night dinners the 6 of us shared. At least I can treat the Ds and their men -- and get some happiness watching them enjoy on FaceTime.

In the mean time, I told Eric I would have cocktail hour with him whenever he wanted. I think we may tonight.

Wednesday Kenny set up a Zoom Happy Hour for several of us. I so look forward to these.

But we CAN do the time. I know this. But the sooner the Big Man wants this pandemic to end -- well -- certainly the better.

No comments: