Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Very Lazy Man

I had zero plans yesterday, and used my time wisely: I barely left the couch. Wifey had plans to visit her parents, and, being the unselfish type, didn't wish to interfere with their "quality time" together, so I stayed home.

Dave and Maureen stopped by to leave their little dog here --they were headed to a local resort for a night of massages, spas, and gourmet eating to celebrate Maureen's birthday. As soon as they left, I explained to the little fluffy dog that her stay here would consist of mostly sleeping, with the occasional meal, and trip outside, as needed. She assented.

As fate would have it, however, some drama was due our way. Another visit from a friend, who was greatly saddened by marital issues. Wifey and I listened, and hugged her, and told her we'd support her.

How and why people stay together is a continuing mystery to me, particularly when the kids are grown, and it's all about what's best for your own life.

I told our friend I want to see her soar again, and she will...

Meanwhile, Wifey left, and the couch beckoned...Ah, Saturday in the Fall. I watched, intermittently, 5 college football games. I watched Arkansas almost beat #1 Alabama, and I watched Stanford trounce Notre Dame. That gladdened me -I love when the sanctimonious phonies at Notre Dame get embarrassed on national tv...

I watched Boston College lose to Va Tech, and though of our friends and neighbors Pat and Susan, whose daughter Marie is a freshman at BC. They're there this weekend for parents' weekend, and I hoped BC would win. But, I know they're enjoying the gorgeous Autumn in Boston, and seeing their daughter in college, so the Eagles' loss is way down the list of importance...

Wifey came home in the evening, after taking her mother to a movie, and having a "moderately annoying" time with her parents. This was positive, since visits with her parents go from "moderately annoying" to "can hardly stand it" these days...

I took it to mean that her mother tried to make her feel guilty for not visiting or calling more less than 50 times in the 5 hours she was there in Pembroke Pines...

The record is North of 100...

I made us some herbal tea, and we sat in our library, and talked of life.

I also planned my next day, today, which is slated for more laziness...

I expect to get the Herald and Times, and read both. Wifey is going to Miami Beach to see her friend Cara, and have lunch and watch a movie on Lincoln Road. She and I saw a film Friday night, and she went with her mother yesterday, so that will be 3 movies in a weekend for Wifey. It doesn't get better than that for her...

I'll see David and Maureen in the afternoon, and then, around 5, head to Mike's house. We're going to the Fins/Jets game tonight, complements of SunTrust Bank. They gave me 4 50 yard line seats, and 2 parking passes.

I gave 2 tix to D1, and she's taking visiting boyfriend Thomas. They'll meet Mike and I in the parking lot.

I'm not very passionate about pro football, but this game is the most anticipated in years, as the Fins are 2 and 0, and their hated rival Jets are 1-1 and expected to do better.

Plus, I still love seeing events through the Ds eyes, even though they're no longer children, and D1 has never been to a major NFL game before...

Lazy weekends are the best. It's so nice to have little personal drama. A ha! That's why people stay together!

No comments: