Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Days of Awe

Ah, football is back. The only thing worth living for in S Fla in these dog days is football. And for me, that means the Hurricanes...

The first game was Thursday night. This year, I only have 2 tickets, after a few years of feeling stressed about giving away extra ones. D2 is in Gainesville, so I lost my usual Canes buddy. This year I invited my brother in law Dennis to the first game...

I had nothing to do Thursday, so I headed to the stadium early. I came prepared, with 12 oz of Stoli vodka in a water bottle, a small cooler of ice, and some large plastic cups. I parked before 5 pm, poured myself a jumbo, and started walking around the stadium.

It was lovely. I watched the early tail gaters. I strolled. I drank. I became delightfully buzzed.

I came upon my buddy Norman's friend and client Maria. She was there early, too, grilling delicious burgers and sausages. Norman's partner Scott was there, too. Like me, Scott's an empty nester, and his girlfriend isn't a football fan, so he was there sucking on a cold one.

I had found a drinking home. I ate and laughed, and chatted with a nice young lawyer from Norman's firm. He was there with his wife, who looked very pregnant, but I long ago learned to never mention that.

Norman drove up, and I chatted with his brother and brother in law. Steve, and old friend, came by. It was greetings well met fellow, hail! Lovely in the afternoon...

Eric, Dana, Josh, and Dennis arrived. I poured the last of the vodka and met them. Dennis took my cup. We went inside...

Eric,Dana, Barry, and I are sitting together at Canes games for the first time since 1984. These are heady times...

The Canes played wonderfully, and their opponent FAMU, had a great band, as always. The season is upon us, and I'm glad for it.

D1 drove to Gainesville to visit D2 and D1's boyfriend. None of them went to the opening Gator game. I watched it while texting with Eric, who DID make the trip to Gainesville to visit his daughter.

The Gators played terribly, but still beat a team that went 1-11 last year. I napped.

Tonight, Wifey and I are going to a movie.

Football continues. It is good...

No comments: