Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Insomniacal Puppy

It's 6 am, and I've been up for 2 1/2 hours already. Ah, the inability to sleep...

I guess it's part of "man o pause." This serves me right, since I've made great sport of torturing Wifey about the female variety of this change of life.

About 1 or 2 times per week, it happens. I fall asleep fine, but 4 or 5 hours later, I'm up like a rooster at dawn. If I NEED to sleep, for maybe a meeting or hearing the next day, I'll pop a few benadryls, and that puts me out for another 6 hours or so.

But, today for example, I have no heavy machinery to operate, so I just gave in, heavy lidded, and headed downstairs.

Dogs are an insomniac's best friends. They're always ready to keep you company. When you wake them at 4 am --they couldn't be happier.

Wifey put our aging Labrador in D2's room to sleep, along with our grand dog, the Cavalier Spaniel. The Spaniel sleeps on the bed, the Lab on the floor.

I opened the door, and they trotted out. They seemed to enjoy breakfast at 4, and then the Spaniel raced out the door to chase lizards and frogs.

She insisted on sleeping on my lap, afterwards. It's nice to have the company in the wee small hours.

I love so many things about our house, but one of them is that we must be near the beginning of the Herald delivery route. The paper will be here already --usually by 6 at the latest.

I'll go read it, and see what bad news there is, along with the latest about the Canes, who start the season tomorrow night.

Big day for me --and a late Thursday. I hope tomorrow I don't see the clock before 7 am...

No comments: