Friday, September 10, 2010

Go Granny, Go

My sister Trudy has been after ancient Mom to get a wheeled walker for some time now. Somehow, she never got around to it --until yesterday.

We took Grandma to a medical supply store, and picked out a shiny new 4 wheel walker. I had stopped at Dr. Eric's empty house (he had gone to Services for Rosh Hashonah) to pick up a prescription, and we used it to get the contraption. Of course, as specific as the prescription was, it didn't have the words "with seat." I took care of that with a quick lawyer's addition to the prescription pad. In the age of Obamacare, I may have committed a felony...

Grandma took off, walking faster than she has in years with the new walker. It was like getting a kid his first bike, only sadder and more pathetic. Still, we went to lunch to celebrate. The deli sandwiches were delicious.

I spoke to the Ds. D1 went to the fancy service at the fancy shul, but then realized her FIU class wasn't canceled, and she'd miss a review. I told her I was confident in her ability to solve these issues...

D2 got pressure from her largely Jewish sorority to attend services. She remained steadfastly OUT of shul. I told her I never went, either, until my sophomore year. We'll see.

She told me she bought a ticket to go to Tuscaloosa in November, to watch the Gators play the Alabama Crimson Tide. Apparently, Alabama's ZBT House is hosting a party for their Gator counterparts. I'd love to see it -- a gathering of the Southeast's future lawyers, doctors, and investment bankers...all drinking beer and looking at the young coeds...

My father in law announced, the previous evening, that he's no longer driving to visit us. He's 85, and no longer confident as a driver. The elderly decrepitude continues...

Back to the office today for me. I have a client coming in about a new case. At this point, I'm just grooming the clients for the coming takeover...

But I'm smiling, thinking of a 90 year old in Delray, sort of scooting along.

No comments: