Friday, November 24, 2023

TD '23 In The Books

 So D1 texted about an hour before everyone was to arrive -- she had gone to Ocean Reef to visit a very rich friend, with only Little Man in tow. Joey had bowed out, and he would come with Baby Man. Little Man was PTFO, as the millennials say, and D1 needed to shower, and didn't want to wake Little Man. So I went outside, let her come in, and drove around the 'hood, with a happily sleeping little boy in his booster seat.

I finally parked, and Wifey called -- the guests were arriving. Should she replace me, so that I could start mixing drinks for the guests, on account of Wifey doesn't really know how to open wine or make martinis?

Sure, I answered, but then Little Man awoke, and we were able to join the already begun party.

Les the caterer sent Maria, the Peruana, who we had last year, but this time her son Carlos was there, too. He teaches Middle School Science in Doral, but helps his Mom for extra money on weekends.  Soon the house began to smell like T Day, as Maria carved the turkeys, and set up the sides. I poured wine, and made martinis, and one cosmo!

A late addition guest, Jonathan's brother's suegra, asked for one, and though I don't really know how to make them, I had the foresight to buy premixed cosmos from Ketel One! They served the purpose well, as our guest had 2 healthy ones.

We ate well, and enjoyed each other's company, in a nice mix of English and Spanish. Jonathan's brother in law Yoni bottles his own liquor, and so shot glasses were produced for some of those celebratory drinks.

And then we retired back to the dining room and sang happy birthday to D1 -- she turns 35 next week. Later in the evening, she texted to thank us for remembering amidst the chaos of all the guests, and called Wifey "Mommy." Wifey said she loves to still be called "Mommy." I said I love it when they call me "Big Poppa." Not really, but I always love a Notorious B.I.G. reference.

Maria and Carlos finished the clean up. I asked Wifey what was an appropriate tip, and then of course doubled what she had suggested. Being a big tipper is a label I always wish to have -- and Maria and Carlos were SO happy with the cash.

Today I'm on coffee #2, and already had a brunch of turkey and stuffing. D1 and family are stopping by -- they have a Friendsgiving close to our house. Wifey and I are invited, but one would need a crowbar and crane to get me off my couch today -- Canes play at noon, and Dolphins play at 3 in a never before combination.

The rental folks are due around 4, and I told Wifey she is responsible for dealing with them -- it should be crunch time in the Canes game!

Hopefully D1 and Joey take a LOT of the leftovers -- we have enough for 2 more parties.

Also, there was a knock after dinner. Our delightful neighbor Mariela and her beautiful girl came by -- with a lovely bottle of wine. They are so classy -- we invited them to stay, but they had their own family. Wow -- we're even blessed in the next door neighbor Department.

I think this may have been the final TDay at Villa Wifey. Even with the caterer and party rental, it's a bit too daunting for Wifey, and as she counters, for me as well. Wifey's back hurt just putting out the 23 dishes and silverware, and found the multiple calls and texts with the caterer and rental company very daunting.

That's ok -- it was a nice run. Next year either D2 and Jonathan will host, or I'll set us up at a restaurant, which we did for several T Days. This way, Wifey just needs show up, with none of the thought or prep of dealing with caterers and rental companies.

As the Brits say, we're getting on, and I guess one sign of that is realizing that simple things done by younger people are no longer at all simple.

So I'm particularly glad this TDay was wonderful. We've already heard from both consuegras thanking us for such a banner day.

Now if the Canes and Fins can somehow win...

No comments: