Saturday, November 4, 2023

Glad I Took A Different Path

 So I came to college as a pre med student, and stuck to it until the Spring of junior year! I got Cs in Organic Chem, the classic weed out course, but As in Biology and Genetics, and always As in my Humanities classes. Still, I LOVED my Literature studies and always barely tolerated Science. And Math. Ha. Through the efforts of Barry and Eric, somehow I got a gentleman's C in Calculus.

Anyway, once I switched majors to English, I figured I would get a PhD in it, and start a career in academics -- maybe writing the great novel most English profs think they have in them. I loved analyzing great literature, and being facile with poetry was great for the ladies...

I told my plans to Judy, one of my mentors, and herself a Professor of Medieval Literature. I had taken two of her classes, including Freshman Comp, where we became such close friends, she introduced me to her Neurologist husband, who took me under his wing, too. I actually spent a summer cutting up frogs, and ended up with my name in two scientific journals!

Judy sat me down in her kitchen in her Gables house, and gave me the facts of life. The discussion must have been Spring of '82, but I recall it clearly. "David -- this is the WORST time to become a Humanities professor. You're the tail end of the Baby Boom, and academic jobs are scarce. I know Harvard grads waiting tables in Boston and NYC. And let's face it -- you are a nice Jewish boy, who's going to get married someday and have a family to support. That's not easy even if you GET a professorship. Go to law school!"

And I did, and of course it was terrific career advice, as somehow I was good enough at it and a great marketer and was able to more than support my family.

But still, I remained an academic dilettante, always preferring to hang with academics when I could. I got to teach two university classes with another dear friend, and admired the "Calling" of the academy.

Well, the way things are now in the US, I am most fortunate to be away from that world. Turns out, many of the most prestigious colleges and universities don't like my kind!

Harvard, Penn, Stanford -- all hotbeds of anti semitism, and the administrators are just apologists for it. The monkeys are truly running the zoo.

I'm proud of my alma mater. Though I know there are plenty of Israel and Jew haters, at least most of the knuckleheadedness of supporting the psychopaths Hamas isn't tolerated. Same as the Ds alma mater, Florida. The president has been crystal clear about the need for moral clarity here.

I can imagine if I still worked at a university now -- it's be rough sledding. Political correctness was bad enough -- getting canceled for a wrong joke or opinion. But now the Jew hatred among many is out in the open. Oh boy.

The only saving grace is that big donors are saying Basta! Even John Huntsman, the billionaire Mormon who gave millions to Penn, said no mas.

At Columbia the other day, Hillary Clinton had 20% of her audience of women walk out -- both because HRC supports Israel, and to protest the fact that their identities as anti semites have been shared publicly. The Hamas supporters don't want to really "come out" since they know it may result in no job offers -- other than maybe working for Ilhan Omar, or Rashida Tailib.

What a world, what a world. Hopefully things improve, and at least in the US those who would follow the path of the Nazis are minimized.

Hell -- even if you can't stand my people -- Germany showed it doesn't go well for you when you try to eliminate us. Robin Williams was interviewed on German TV years ago and asked "Why is it, do you think, that there is not so much comedy in Germany?" His response: "Did it occur to you that you killed all the funny people?"

No comments: