Monday, November 20, 2023

Minyan Man

 So Sunday was a pretty chill day here in the 305. I got in my 8000 steps, and made it back in time for the Fins game at 1. Wifey and Allison happily worked on the decorating -- big crowd coming Thursday, and Wifey wants the house to look fly.

The Fins won a ponderous game, against the Oakland, um, LA, um, Oakland -- ok, for now Las Vegas Raiders, with a pretty spectacular end zone INT by stud DB Jalen Ramsay.

Wifey suggested maybe sushi for dinner for Allison and me, and chicken satay for her, and so I Ubereated in Sea Siam for a pretty, pretty, pretty nice boat. I poured a couple of Tito's martinis, having returned for a trip to Total Wine to provision for T Day. Allison doesn't like Ketel, or Absolut, and I don't like Grey Goose, but Stoli and Tito's are good for both of us -- so I stuck with the Texas and Ukrainian spirits.

As we sat around watching TV with our sushi and vodka buzz, I got a text from Jeff -- would I join Rabbi Yossi's minyan the next am? I said I would.

It's funny -- Jeff is a VERY dedicated Reform guy, but he's been going to most of the orthodox minyans with Yossi. Jeff lost a young cousin who was more like a little brother to him, and he wants to say kaddish each am.

Even though I'm the dunce of the minyan class, I go -- figure it can't hurt. And today I was indeed the 10th man, so it's a good thing I came along. The Rabbi honored me by calling me to the Torah to read a transliteration of the portion -- I did a serviceable job, if I don't say so myself.

I also like being there when the Torah is removed -- it's the time to ask special blessings for anyone facing health challenges, and we have a dear friend just finished chemo and awaiting surgery for cancer. I took a photo of the Torah today and said I had asked for the blessings -- our friends are not at all religious, but I figure it's like chicken soup for a cold -- can't hurt!

Today Allison is supervising one of the 3 handymen we have -- hanging up some mirrors and pictures, and repairing a buffet door. 

Wifey is playing the role of Golda in "Fiddler" -- assuming Tevye's wish had come true.

And as I drank my coffee this am, I reflected on one of life's greatest blessings: laughter. I got a LOT of it over the weekend, and it's truly great for the soul.

So TDay is nearly upon us -- my favorite holiday. I have plenty of spirits for the crowd. All reservations for the caterer and party rentals are in, per Wifey.

Hopefully all we'll need to do is enjoy .

No wonder I happily went to minyan today -- I have a LOT of thanks to give to the Big Man.

No comments: