Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Hopeful News For Two Great Women

 Two friends, one very close, and one a long time friend from college, are both being treated for aggressive cancers. 

The close and local friend got excellent news recently: after a rough bout of chemotherapy, and coming surgery, her tumor is non detectable. We were thrilled to hear this news, of course, and plan to celebrate the END of her treatment in early 2024. She is a dear sister to us, and we want her to go through life with for decades to come. I have a strong sense that will be the case.

The long ago and distant friend and I reconnected during early Covid. She shared that she was diagnosed with melanoma -- and SO regretted all the sun worshipping she did back in college.

And I emailed to follow up this week -- she has her final immunotherapy treatment this Friday -- after Thanksgiving. Our friend is a doctor, and knows melanoma can be a very bad actor, as she says, but as Eric said -- his money is on our friend -- she is badass.

She has three young adult kids, and I joked with her that I highly recommend the grandparent gig. She is far away from that -- she had her kids later, and none seem close to putting her in the club. I hope it happens.

Meanwhile, last night we had a lovely birthday celebration for our friend Joelle. A young man, Steven, was there -- one of her son's closest friends. When we toasted, he said how Joelle had always been a mother to him -- his was essentially absent from his life. That spoke volumes about our dear sister.

We met at a place that Kenny and Joelle introduced us to years ago: Carajo! It's the convenience store behind a gas station on US1 that probably has the best tapas in town. Last night was on brand, as the millennials say -- garbanzo fritos, and shrimp, and octopus -- all delicious. 

Kenny and Joelle's friends Phil and Adam were there -- a married couple whose life story calls out for a movie. Both are from orthodox Jewish families in Brooklyn -- they met in Yeshiva. Years later, they reunited in college, and realized they had more in common than just required Torah study.

They've been married for years -- one is a Peds Radiologist, and the other an Opthamologist. They have a wonderful life together -- traveling the world, always first class.

I guess the only sadness is their families -- one of the Mom's keeps close, but many of their family members cannot accept their sexuality. It's so sad to me.

Wifey and I dropped off Joelle and Kenny and came home to our Kato Kaelin. She wanted to leave for Cooper City, but we wouldn't have it -- no need to drive home so late.

Instead, as I was having my coffee, I heard Allison loading up her car, and I made her coffee the way she likes (honey and milk) and left the steaming mug on the outside steps. She didn't see me as she picked it up and smiled. I like the innkeeper gig sometimes.

We said our goodbyes -- she has T Day with her siblings and nieces and nephews up in Lauderdale. Hopefully her 92 year old Dad is up to attending -- I spoke with him last night.

D2 and Jonathan bought a house on the same street in the Shores, and Sy wants to host a welcome cocktail party -- hopefully that happens in early 2024.

In the mean time, when I'm having my T Day toasts tomorrow, two great ladies will be in my thoughts.


No comments: