Sunday, November 19, 2023

Canes Nearly Done

 I've been a Miami Hurricanes fan since I first visited the Orange Bowl for a game in the Fall of 1979. I hadn't ever been to a college football game, and though the team that year was mediocre, finishing 5-6, I loved the atmosphere -- tailgating with my friends before being bussed back to Coral Gables.

Back then, none of us dreamed of winning even one national championship, and then we were treated to 5 -- really 6 if you count one stolen from us by an Ohio State loving ref.

Our cups ranneth over. Once the UM President Shalala made the decision to not pressure the City of Miami to renovate the sacred Orange Bowl, and instead opted to leave for the shiny new Joe Robbie Stadium, I had a deep sense our glory days were passed us. I decided, as did several of my friends, to get Club Seats. My theory was that with a mediocre and sometimes bad team, at least I would be comfortable -- having the air conditioned Club to retreat to when needed. 

Alas, my prediction has been proven again this year. We all were excited about the new coach, Mario Cristobal. He was himself a star player who went on to study under the best, Nick Saban, and then have a succesful tenure at Oregon. But he was a Miami guy, and when the chance came for him to come home, he did -- last season was his first. The team went 5-6. I wasn't surprised -- the last coach had left him some less than stellar players.

This year the hopes were higher -- Mario had recruited much better players and got some studs to transfer here. But at the beginning of the season, I managed expectations -- I predicted we would go 7-5. It appears I may have been correct, after all.

Yesterday was the last home game, against a Top 10 Louisville team. I gave my tickets to my consuegros. Norman graciously offered me an extra ticket and drive to the game, but I really wanted to do stuff around here.

And then it turned out Barry and Josh had some business with a tow yard over near Tamiami Airport, and so met me at LOL for breakfast. We got back to the house after the first quarter, and watched a pretty close game.

After halftime, I got out the vodka, and poured Barry and I a few. By the third quarter, I gave Josh a decision: Di Napoli or Takee Outee. He chose Italian, and we had some delivered -- which we ate after the Canes lost. It softened the blow.

Later, Allison arrived with her special needs dog Gummy, and we all caught up after Barry and I schlepped in some furniture she had bought for us.

We told Barry about "Naked Attraction," a British reality show where the dating contestants choose based on naked bodies. He didn't believe such a show existed, and so we put it on. Josh had seen it.

The third martini and Allison's gagging sounds when the naked guys were shown caused me laughter that may have stopped my breathing a little. It was that kind of evening.

Allison is here for a few days continuing the design/decluttering project, and helping Wifey spiffy up the house before we host T Day. It's great to have her as our Kato Kaelin.

The Canes play next Friday -- after T Day. They ought to beat BC, and finish the aforementioned 7-5, and then go to some third rate bowl game.

But I remain an optimist -- I think next year they compete for the ACC championship. If I'm wrong -- that's ok, too. The reason for the season is my brothers and sisters and the fun we have at tailgates and game watching parties at home. If our pack of 18-25 year olds is more fleet of foot than other packs of 18-25 year olds -- terrific.

Meanwhile, it's good ole' Sunday morning, as Greg Allman sang, and I'm off for my constitutional. Allison and Wifey will arise later and get after that clutter!

The Dolphins play at 1 -- hopefully they staunch the Miami football losing.

If not, I plan to pour martinis for Allison and I. If they lose: the same!

No comments: