Monday, November 13, 2023

Reunion - All I Ever Wanted

 So the first reunion of my two sisters and I since D2's wedding nearly 4 years ago is in the can -- and it went swimmingly.

You learn over time that there is a science and art to family gatherings, lest they degenerate into miserable affairs with hurt feelings and such, but we had no such pathology -- just a damn good time.

Thursday Wifey and I drove my sister Sue to Northeast Miami to fetch the very active Little Man, and Sue learned right away he is no "background child," as Wifey noted. We came home to D1's house, and the Baby Man was there, as was my nephew Henry -- in happily early from his gig in Boca. Henry and his beautiful wife Val have decided against having kids, and I have a feeling that the few hours Henry spent in the tumult of D1's house may have reinforced those feelings.

Joey came home, and welcomed us to stay for a cocktail, but I knew we'd be spending Saturday together, and kept to my routine: when a son in law returns home from a long work day, the retired, or semi retired suegro bolts to give him his quiet time with his family. I learned this from my own suegro, may he rest in peace, who NEVER left when I came home -- instead directing me to "Go put da short pants on!" as if being bossed around in that way was somehow helping me to relax. No -- I shall be sensitive to the next generation of mules -- Joey and Jonathan.

Instead, we drove to Mr. Mandolin, our go-to Aegean Street Food place, and Sue and Henry loved it -- catching up with Wifey and life in general. There was a lot of that this weekend.

Friday, Trudy and Dennis were driving from Wesley Chapel, and I set up a meet at our local Roasters for lunch. Alas, an incorrect Waze input sent them to North Miami instead of Pinecrest, and so we lunched without them, and headed to Milam's for dessert, but Dennis told me he was in Kendall and they hadn't eaten, and so I back tracked to Roasters for some sandwiches for them. We all got together, finally, and enjoyed D2 and Betsy -- she had decided to join us as well for the first full day of siblings.

My sister Trudy, who is a cat person, LOVED Betsy -- she and Henry kept feeding her, and the 95 lb puppy never left their sides.

Hours later, we realized that despite the comically huge sandwiches, hunger had returned, and this time I Uber eated in Di Napoli, our go-to pizza and red sauce place, and we feasted again, this time with wine and vodka and Prosecco and some gummies. It was truly a lovely Friday evening -- and D2 left at bedtime.

Saturday was the main event. D1 arrived with Little Man, who had ALL his energy with him. Joey came later with Baby Man. And Olivia joined us, too -- Sue's best friend since they were 15 and so lovely an addition -- truly the third sister.

I played my role of pusing alcohol to fuel the laughter -- even the normally modest consumer Henry had a few martinis. Joey took the Little Man next door, where he played a long time with the beautiful neighbor girl Amalie, and Joey talked with Jesus, her Dad and a crypto genius.

I had brought in Boulangerie, the French place owned by Venezuelan Jews Jonathan knows, and everyone was happy except the Little Man, whose bagel was, in fact, very hard. But he got by, and we all laughed and ate and drank.

And the great aunts gave lovely gifts to the boys -- the Little Man especially loved the Spiderman pillowcases and blankets Trudy made him, and read the books from his Aunt Sue.

Now an all adult party, UberEats again was on the road -- this time with Chana Thai, and we sat around the dining room feasting again -- D2 had to drive home Jonathan after my gin martini pushing had its effect.

Sue and Olivia got to have a slumber party, but I don't think they talked into the night. The rest of us passed out.

Sunday we had coffee outside, and I did my final UberEats order -- Roasters again, for bagels, lox, and fritatatas, with scrambled eggs and tomato for Wifey. We sat there until the still too hot for November sun rose, and then retreated inside to the AC, until it was time for the guests of the Inn at Villa Wifey to check out.

Henry drove Sue to MIA -- their separate flights left within an hour of each other, and I got texts confirming they had made it to Boulder Creek and a hotel near Fresno Airport (FAT -- the best airport initials there are). Olivia texted from North Palm, and Trudy and Dennis from their home in Wesley Chapel.

Wifey and I collapsed into the couch and recliner. It was lovely hosting, but keeping multiple guests well fed and drunk is a LOT of work. It's why I love PLAYING innkeeper for short periods but never want to do it full time.

Still -- it was magical all being together, and telling the tales of our late parents only we all know. Olivia explained that her own Dad had died young, and she always savored time as an extra to our family. I can see why.

So only the Fates and Big Man know the next time we'll all be together, if ever, as Eric Woolfson sang.

But Reunion 2023 was a fine one.

No comments: