Thursday, November 9, 2023

A Decent Pick

 So Tuesday Wifey and I got a visit from D2 and her enormous dog, Betsy. Jonathan was out of town, and she came by for some family love. She and I had our Daddy/daughter pedicures, which I love. I went from thinking this was just a woman's thing to getting them every few months -- always with the same joke when we enter the salon: "Hi -- two pedis please -- one human and one dinosaur." Indeed, without the pedis, my feet would well resemble those of an extinct reptile.

After the pedis, we walked next door to Crema, and had a nice lunch and then brought food home for Wifey. I talked D2 into a glass of wine, and I poured myself a Stoli, and it was a lovely night.

Yesterday am, we were off to North Miami Beach for a bris -- Paul's latest grandson. D1 and Joey met us there, too, and it was a meaningful service, with a well spoken mohel who seemed to know what he was doing. Joey left for work, and we retired to D1's house, to spend some time with adorable Baby Man, who happily scurried around.

From there, we drove up to D2 and Jonathan's house for a quick inspection -- things are coming along nicely, and then back home. Wifey left with the Special Needs Spaniel -- he gets PT now -- walking underwater on a special treadmill, and D2 and the enormous dog left, leaving me for a needed nap.

I awoke, fortified myself with a late afternoon coffee, and checked the flight maps -- my California sister was en route. She arrived from a Phoenix connection right on time, and I was off -- to the Latin Cafe on LeJeune to await word she was ready for the pick.

Ah -- the airport pick. I rarely do them - the running joke is you have to share my DNA or else I refer you to an Uber, and indeed my sister meets the criterion for the pick. She called, and I drove to arrivals, which was completely stopped entering AA, until finally I crept up and found her.

At breakfast, my friend Kenny said he had a different approach -- he will drop OFF at the airport, but refuses to pick up -- indeed the outbound is more harried.

But I got my sister in the SUV, and ordered Carrot Express to be waiting for our arrival home.

She had announced last week she was vegan after watching a documentary, but I had a sense that might not have grown legs, so to speak, and indeed she shared some of Wifey's tuna melt along with the tofu salad I ordered.

We finished the Stag's Leap from the night before -- I rarely drink wine, but enjoy it when I do, and then we got her set up in one of Villa Wifey's newly renovated guest rooms -- thanks to Allison, who did a lovely job.

Today's itinerary is a chill one -- we'll fetch Little Man at his preschool later, and then spend some time with D1 until Joey returns. Hopefully Wifey and D2 come along, but they're game time decisions. 

I'll take my sister to our go-to "Aegean Street Food" place, and now know I can get her a chicken wrap -- best in the city, and then head for home, where she has a major treat: the arrival of my nephew Henry!

Henry's been working in Boca, at the Hotel and Resort, doing his art for some corporate client. I look forward to hearing about his gig there -- I told him Boca was sort of a Jewish Santa Barbara, and that part of the town surely is.

He's due in late, and I'll give him a glass or two, and then tomorrow we await the balance of the tribe -- my Tampa area sister and brother in law -- probably due in around lunch time.

I'll bring in Italian tomorrow, and host a very extended cocktail party, and then Saturday Sue's dear friend Olivia is joining us, along with the kids and grandkids.

So it began with a pretty, pretty, pretty nice pick. And may the reunion be lovely, too.

No comments: