Monday, April 5, 2010

VFO

So on Thursday, ancient Mom called me. Although I had just seen her 3 nights before, and had plans to see her in a couple of weeks, she asked whether Wifey and I might come to visit her Sunday. It was Easter, which meant her Jai Alai fronton was closed, and she wanted company.

Wifey and I were concerned. Mom almost NEVER asks for a visit. Visits are always on our suggestion, and we've tried to get up to see her every 2 weeks. And, it got more suspect: she wanted to go to the beach, to see the ocean. Again --out of character --she never wants to go anywhere other than a local restaurant, or maybe to pick up groceries or dry cleaning.

I had thoughts that this might be the end --Mom wanted to say goodbye, or something.

Well, like most worrying --it was for naught. Wifey drove up to Delray, and she was in great spirits. I drove to Delray Beach, and dropped her and Wifey off at an oceanside bench. I then looked for parking.

I've concluded that Delray has the meanest, most nasty folks in the state --and that's saying something. Drivers seemed so inpatient, and angry --and it was Easter Sunday! Most weren't that old, and I got yelled at in NY and Boston accents, as I waited for cars to leave spots. Why do people have such anger, on a glorious Sunday afternoon, at a beautiful beach?

I found a spot, and walked back to the bench. Mom stared out at the ocean, and talked about her childhood. Wifey reminded her my father's remains were in the ocean, and asked what message she had for him. "You're a schmuck!, she said, for leaving me alone!"

We got her back into the car, and drove to a Philly cheese steak stand we had visited once before. We bought her a sandwich, and then some delicious butter pecan ice cream, at a shop next door. She acted like a 5 year old who was taken out for the day.

I read a few years ago that Delray Beach was home to more drug rehab centers that just about any other place in the US. Since I learned that, I've noticed the denizens of the Atlantic Avenue area. In addition to the typical tourists, sure enough, there are a bunch of folks who look just a bit off. A man sat eating ice cream who had a handle bar mustache. He was squirrely. I was pretty sure he was one of the many patients.

Delray is a weird place.

We drove Mom home, and she asked a ton of questions about what the doctors are telling us about her. Finally I told her the last she saw, a South African, said she had "VFO." She asked what that was. I told her "Very Fucking Old." She laughed.

Wifey had made plans to meet up with 2 girlfriends, who now live in Boynton and West Palm, Alyssa and Lori. We met them at a Starbucks on Jog Road, and the 3 ladies chatted about their lives. I played waiter --bringing them their coffees and iced teas.

All four of us have parents in the 80s and 90s, and we compared notes on the challenges of caring for them, while still dealing with college or near college kids of our own.

In the meantime, ancient Mom, despite our concerns, appears intent on sticking around on this planet for some time to come.

No comments: