Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Day After

Well, the PPPPP turned out to be a smashing success. As expected, the prom goers were like newly bloomed flowers, and they and their dates posed for photos like models in a fashion spread.

Mike and I manned the bar, with Mike cranking out pitchers of his rum drinks, while I mixed the vodkas and poured wine. The parents, dealing with the encroachment of middle age, went through an enormous bottle of Ketel One, and 5 bottles of white wine. (OK, so I had two or 7 vodkas myself).

Many of the parents knew each other since THEY were kids, and enjoyed reliving their high school days as their children were now ready to graduate.

We all gathered in front of the house, as the kids boarded the bus. The driver let out a loud horn peal, and off they went.

I announced that the party would continue, and about 25 of the parents came back inside. My friend and neighbor Pat was there, as were friends Charlie and Diane. Pat introduced me to an Irish whiskey called Middleton years ago, and I always break it our on special occasions. I poured us all a finger or two, and we toasted our nearly grown kids.

There were some tears, and a lot of laughter, and little by little, the parents left the house.

D2 called from the hotel about midnight, and reported all were in high spirits. They intended to watch the sunrise at 6; as I predicted, none of them made it up that early. They did head over to Big Pink for breakfast, and then spent the day on Miami Beach. D2 came home exhausted and a little sunburned.

Meanwhile, in Gainesville, D1 attended a ball as well, with her reunited boyfriend Thomas.

The springtime of the Ds continues; we head to Gainesville next Saturday for our first D's college graduation. We'll gather in Gatorland, and watch D1 get her Bachelor's. Then we have plans at a restaurant in Downtown Gainesville. D2 and I will head back home, as D2 has AP exams next week, while Wifey and D1 will pack up her apartment and follow us a few days later.

Today, Wifey and I cleaned up and napped. We're done with high school events, almost.

One of the dads last night remarked that his son had a much better childhood than he did, and hoped he realized how lucky he was.

I don't know. It seems to me that we all have our demons to slay, and just because one has a bit more money, or a 2 parent childhood, it doesn't equal an easy life.

Some of the Ds friends seem under constant pressure to succeed. The American Dream is that each generation does better than the last. As the curve towards success sharpens, that becomes harder and harder for each generation.

Que sera, sera with this generation.

All I know is, the kids beamed last night, and we were privileged to reflect in their light.

No comments: