Saturday, April 10, 2010

A Lovely Surprise

Life has to have balance, and I did my best to restore that on Friday. I typically lead a humdrum existence, surrounded by mainstream folks, most of whom are college educated and "classy."

So when it came time to celebrate a recent settlement of a case with my office roommate Brian, my partner asked that we celebrate his way, which we did. We headed to the race track for an afternoon of drinking and gambling. Classic, legalized vice.

Alas, I've been lucky in love, so yesterday I was unlucky in parimutuals. I gambled and lost a grand total of $40. Brian did the same, but Paul, always the type to hedge and play the favorites, won, slightly. Lou, Paul's long time PHilly friend, and race fanatic, won an offtrack race in Kentucky, but lost in person, at Gulfstream.

My partner and Lou LOVE the track. My partner sees it philosophically: the horses run around in circles, while people come and go. He also likes the seediness of it --grizzled old men in walkers, chewing stubby cigars.

I like to visit from time to time, but I figure life itself is enough of a gamble --why wager money on animals and their human drivers? And, I never got the whole "horses are so beautiful and graceful" thing. To me, they're skinnier mules --beasts of burden that run fast. I'm more of a dog guy.

So after I called Wifey and feigned drunkenness, and told her I went nuts and gambled and lost $20,000 "just to experience first hand what it's like to be a degenerate gambler," she told me there was a surprise, involving D2, and I ought to come home, because D2 refused to tell me on the phone.

I cut short a post race dinner with Brian, and drove back to Pinecrest. What would it be? D2 had already committed to UF, and has also secured a full tuition Bright Futures scholarship?

Was she pregnant? Nah --Wifey sounded too happy for that. Had she won another award?

Well, I came in, and, there it was: D1 had come home, for her final "still in college" visit! And, speaking of dogs, she had Mads, the world's cutest puppy, my grand-dog, with her.

We had a delightful reunion --talking happily about her return to the 305, and her graduate studies, and move to the bursting with life Brickell neighborhood.

Mads hopped around, and D2 cuddled with her, before heading out for one of her last "still in high school" parties.

So, as I type, both of my D2 are here, sleeping. The puppy is provoking the comical Basset Hound, while the aging Lab naps.

I prefer dogs, daughters, and Wifey, to ponies.

No comments: