Thursday, April 8, 2010

A Special Purpose

Dr. Barry said it yesterday: I sound more excited about something professional than I have in 10 years. He's right: I'm gearing up for the third presentation of a college class.

In 1997 my friend and mentor Steve Sapp, Chair of the U's Religious Studies Department, asked me to co teach a class with him, called "Religion and Law." We did it, and it was terrific. Steve, an ethics expert, taught his subject, and I'd add the legal background.

We asked experts from various fields to guest lecture, and we'd show movies like "To Kill a Mockingbird," and host rousing discussions. It was a blast. The 20 or so undergraduates loved the class, and it was worth the work of grading tests and papers.

We repeated the class during the Summer of 2000, and it was another hit. I donated my salary back to the Department.

And then, somehow, 10 years went by. I got busier with the Ds, and my law practice, with a bunch of large level fire tragedies, took a lot of time.

Steve became Chair of the Faculty Senate, and took a sabbatical, and served on several ethics committees, and travelled the world speaking about ethics, aging, and sex (his 3 areas of expertise --I often jokingly point out, the only areas he's missing are food and college sports).

Well, he visited my office for a deposition a few months ago, and we decided to give it another go.

I've been busy inviting the various speakers, and I have our roster set. It's like I'm planning a party where all of the guests are intellectuals or experts of one type or another. My dream job!

We're going to have a Circuit judge who used to wear a yarmulke in court, and no longer does. Dr. Barry is going to speak about end of life issues, along with a Baptist minister from another children's hospital, and an orthodox Jewish lawyer who nearly sued Barry and his hospital over a near drowning victim (the lawyer, in an only in Miami moment, went on to marry the child's extremely attractive aunt, leading Barry to conclude that the lawyer always wins).

My friends Norman and Charley, med mal lawyers, will go at it about the sides they take in court. Charley, a lapsed Catholic, has replaced plaintiff's work as his religion, and Norman rarely loses a case. I can't wait.

We just added the final puzzle piece: my partner's son Alex is going to finish out the opening lecture. Alex, on the magic carpet ride of young lawyer success (law review at Northwestern, clerkship with a federal judge, and nearly $200k/year job with Miami's top firm) quit after being a lawyer for 5 years. I can't wait to hear him share his insights with the mostly pre law undergrads.

Dr. Barry's right: I'm, to use a term from 80s California surfers, STOKED.

Dr. Barry and I already started talking about another class --thi one involving his medical students, and encompassing law and ethics for budding doctors, along with undergraduates.

This third time teaching, for me, could be the start of something big.

No comments: