Thursday, April 15, 2010

Playing Hooky

I truly planned to go to the office today. I really did. I woke up at a reasonable hour, had my coffee, read the Herald, and then joined Wifey for a walk. But then, during the circuit around the 'hood, one thing led to another, and before I knew it, the circumstances cascaded into a conspiracy designed to keep me home.

First, we ran into 2 separate neighbors, and had news about our kids that needed catching up. We learned all about one's college trips, and about the academic trials presented by private school to the others.

Then, Wifey told me she needed to get her cell phone fixed, and the Comcast guy was due to visit. A sign from above, I thought! There would be no trip Downtown for me.

The cable guy turned out to be a Jamaican named Mike. He was tall and charming, and we chatted about Montego Bay, and Ocho Rios. I decided that Jamaican accents are my favorite. Just listening to this fellow, I had a strong urge to smoke some nature, and think only thoughts of peace and love.

Mike replaced the defective converter box, and we both agreed that we ought to meet someday in Negril. I told Mike that, when Wifey and I flew to Montego Bay for our honeymoon, over 23 years ago, a man in the seat on Air Jamaica next to me was headed to Negril. He was newly divorced, and wore a straw hat. I asked him how long he was saying. His reply "I have no damn idea." I made a mental note to someday visit Negril. Mike, who went often when he lived and worked In Jamaica, told me I had the right idea --Negril was the Key West of Jamaica, and that's saying something!

So, now the house was quiet, and I had to take the new Comcast box for a test drive. I went to "On Demand," and ordered up the "Sopranos," episode 82, the one where Cristopher whacks Tim Daly. There was a poignant line from Tony while he was visiting Dr. Melfi for help in dealing with his heartbroken son A.J., whose Puerto Rican girlfriend had broken up with him. "My putrid, rotting genes. This is my gift for my son."

Then, D2 came home, and I poured us a couple of Diet Orange Crush sodas, and got her to join me on the front porch for some senior year catch up talk. I pointed out to her the absurdly gorgeous yellow tabebuia trees, in explosive bloom. Their sun-yellow flowers, in afternoon light, almost make you cry.

We went inside, and Wifey's friend Elizabeth tapped on the door. She's here for a visit, but has to take the smaller room, since my sister Sue's due in tomorrow from California. Wifey brought home some Greek salads and humus, and we ate outside, in the unseasonably beautiful weather. Happily, no Miami summer is here yet.

We then took our SECOND walk around the 'hood, this time with Elizabeth.

Yes, if one got grades for hooky, today I earned a solid A.

No comments: