Friday, April 2, 2010

Hell --make it a GREAT Friday...

April Fool's Day passed, and I only had 2 successes. I posted a FaceBook status about moving to Oklahoma to teach, and brilliant (and ever gullible D1) called me in the morning to ask me why I hadn't told her my life altering plans, even as we spoke the night before.

The second bout of foolishness involved my roommate Mark, one of the town's top criminal defense lawyers. I asked him in to my office, and solemnly told him that I was served with a paternity action that morning, involving a black lady I had met a few years ago, and that the lawsuit containted, as an exhibit, a photo of my presumptive bastard, and that, to my horror, "the toddler looked exactly like me, although with a much darker complexion..."

Mark went immediately into lawyer mode. I could see the wheels turning about how he'd defend me --never even considering about asking me whether the allegations were true.

After a few minutes, I reminded him of the date, and he howled, and gave me both a great complement, and a reminder about the scary nature of my soul: "I've had a career as a cop and defense lawyer, and you are one of the best straight faced liars I've ever known!"

I get that from my mother!

D2 spent April Fool's Day on a one day journey to Universal and Islands of Adventure, in a 2 car caravan. 8 Palmetto seniors enjoyed the classic Florida Spring Break activity, and she came home exhausted by the nearly 500 mile round trip drive.

D2 has made her college choice: she's heading to Gainesville, as I expected, and, like all major life decisions, she's noticeably more at peace now that she's picked a trail.

So, D1 will be returning from Gatorland, as D2 heads there. I think of one of my life's mentors, Ed Perse, who always called the UF team "THE Gator," instead of GatorS, to give them a more personal and menacing sense.

I remember clearly his excited statements, usually in August: "Dave --THE GATOR is coming down in a few weeks. Cancel all plans. There must be full and complete focus if we're to send his slimy ass back to the swamp defeated!"

Well, the teams don't play again (other than a possible Bowl Game) until D2's senior year. Whose colors will she wear? I fear I know...

No comments: