Thursday, April 1, 2010

Metro Dad

Monday afternoon we had a perfectly lovely and barely religious seder. D2 read the 4 questions, and we answered them. I discussed the meaning of Passover --emancipation from slavery, both actual and metaphorical, and then we toasted the fact that Wifey's parents and my Mom were still with us.

The ceremonial part lasted about 5 minutes. Ah --I sometimes wish I had more patience for the ritual, and the hocus pocus part of religion. I don't.

The family left in time to drive home in daylight, and Wifey went upstairs to rest. I noticed D2 on line, looking for dresses. I invited her to the local mall. She accepted.

Dadeland was pretty empty. I guess the combination of it being a Monday night, and the first night of Passover, combined to give us free run of the place.

I typically don't enjoy shopping, but when I take my girls, it's a different story. If there's something better than spoiling them, I don't know what it is. I just hope they find their own schlemiel husbands someday, to continue the tradition...

We started out at Neiman Marcus, and D2 tried a few gowns. She liked one, but didn't like the color.

She announced that since she had decided to go to UF, and had one a full tuition scholarship, she didn't feel she was taking advantage of me if she paid $400 for her dress. I agreed wholeheartedly.

Next we walked to Saks, and I sat in the shoe department while she investigated. Sure enough, she came out and modeled a gorgeous and unusual dress --colorful like D2's personality. It was on sale --$150. I told her she DID have some of her mom's frugality in her, after all.

The dress needed alterations, and the nice older Cuban seamstress came and pinned the gown. The sales girl (herself a Palmetto High grad) said the alterations would be $100. We decided to get them done with Wifey's seamstress, probably for less than half the cost.

D2 was very happy. I guess that finding the perfect prom dress is a big deal for a high school senior girl.

For my prom, I went to the local tux rental store, and that was that. My prom was in 1979, and the tux was BEIGE! I think some of my classmates wore "formal" style leisure suits. Ah, the 70s...

We drove home, and D2 awaited approval from D1. She had sent a photo of the gown via her cell phone. D1 was at a UF seder. D1, the fashionista, approved.

Like all milestones, this one was bittersweet. Next year at this time, D2 will be up in Gainesville, while D1 will be back home.

Dare I hope there'll be a time when our precious girls are BOTH back in the 305?

Maybe I should have left the door open for Elijah after all, and asked him!

No comments: