Monday, April 26, 2010

Hey Bungalow Bill

One of my office roommates is off to Africa tomorrow, for a 2 week hunting trip. He's so excited about it --he's going to hunt elephants.

Apparently, the government sells licenses to rich hunters to take out "problem elephants." These are critters that have caused problems to villagers. Otherwise, it seems, you can't just go blast Dumbo.

I certainly don't get it. I've never understood any type of hunting, let alone animals I've always read are social, and gather together when one of their pack? herd? gets injured.

My roommate hunts in Africa once per year. Last year, he shot a lion, and several large apes, as well as a bunch of antelope looking things (I can never keep those antelope-like animals separate in my mind). He's also shot big moose-looking animals --Cape Buffaloes I think they're called.

He tells me that this trip, he has a 20% chance of being killed. If you shoot the elephant and miss, it will stomp you to death. My money's on the human and his "PH," or professional hunter. They have enormous rifles.

The trip is going to cost him nearly $30,000. I really, really don't get it.

I mean, hunting birds doesn't bother me too much. They don't seem too close to us. But majestic cats, and primates? Elephants? Maybe I was raised on too much Disney.

To each his own, I guess. My roommate thinks my life is without adventure. I have zero desire to go hunting. I used to like to fish, a bit, but that no longer thrils me either.

So --he's off to Africa. That also happens to be a continent I have zero desire to visit, for any reason. Nothing about the place appeals to me.

But if I did go, I'm certain I'd leave the large animals to themselves...

No comments: