Thursday, October 5, 2023

Making Plans

 As a young, hyper social guy, I always loved making and keeping plans with my friends. Often, this was to Wifey's chagrin, as she was much happier to stay home.

There was a business purpose, of course -- going out with people who might refer cases to my firm was critical, and indeed led to a rather nice career. But more than that, I ENJOYED the company -- being around people energized me. As Dr. Barry pointed out with a personality profile, that made me a classic extrovert -- as opposed to his profile -- classic introvert.

Well, older Dave has changed. Where in the past someone could say "We really need to get together," and that would lead me to make plans, now I just agree. I figure if the requester really cared so much, he or she would take steps for the meeting.

Wifey is very happy with this change. 

Still, every once in awhile, often fueled by alcohol, I go back to my old ways -- and nearly always regret it. And so it was a few weeks back.

My old friend Eddy, a very nice fellow, stopped me as I was returning to my seat at the Canes game. He sits several rows behind me. "I'd really like to get together with you, Mike, and Stu. Could you set something up?" Again, there was alcohol, and I agreed.

On Monday, I circulated an email. We four worked together at the same firm in the Grove in the late 80s, and remained friends. I'm the only grandfather, and Stu, the late starter, has kids still in college. Eddy's are grown.

The email, as expected, turned into several false starts -- until we settled on a meet at a tapas place on US 1, to take place 5:30 tonight.

Stu and Mike promptly forgot about it -- Eddy's reminder email yesterday was greeted with "Was that this week?"

I told Wifey I figured this would happen, and why did I get involved? First, I could guarantee Stu would skip -- no way he would sit in traffic from Aventura, or even Brickell, to drive to a place opposite of his commute home.

Mike ended up with a conflicting judicial fundraiser -- something I mercifully avoid as I no longer truly care who the judges are.

But Eddy called an audible -- we could make it later, at a place closer to Mike's earlier appointment, and we were on for a sports bar in Merrick Park.

Sure enough, as if on cue, Stu called. He was in Aventura, typically avoiding the office, and no way he was driving all the way to the Gables -- please send regards. I wished there was a way to have bet on his absence -- it was a sure thing.

As of now, Mike, Eddy, and I are still on. The good news is, I plan to Uber there, since Mike can drop me home afterwards, and I can avoid having to park my car, and maybe even have that lovely third martini.We're set to meet at the Yard House. The good news is the choice will allow me to make fun of how gringo Eddy is -- despite having two Cuban born parents. Yard House. Caramba!

The Ds say I must fight my more lazy side. It's easy to become that guy who rarely leaves his nice house.

But the truth is, the Ds and their men give us plenty to do. I enjoy the tailgates, and dinner with a select few couples .

I'm sure tonight will be fine -- catching up, comparing notes of decades as Miami lawyers. I just wish planning the social excited me as much as it used to.

No comments: