Sunday, October 1, 2023

Do You Remember...The Very First Day of October?

 Ah, October is here, which means we can look forward, at least, to the weather getting better than worse -- assuming no late cyclones. It seems every 4 Halloweens, or so, the weather is lovely -- the other three, still too hot and yumid, as Wifey pronounces it.

Remembering cyclones and nice weather, Hurricane Wilma always comes to mind. It hit in late October, and did tree damage along with knocking out power, and so Wifey and the Ds decamped to Atlanta, while my friend and then across the street neighbor Pat's wife Susan and her kids decamped to Orlando.

The weather following Wilma was as nice as I can remember -- the nights dipped to the low 60s -- perfect sleeping weather without A/C. Pat and I spent a lot of time together -- he invited me to Riviera CC, his Club, which had always been notoriously unfriendly to us Hebrews. But times had changed, and after 2 nights drinking at Pat and his buddies' "Table of Knowledge," a bunch asked me to join. I politely declined -- I don't golf, and it seemed a bit silly to spend 6 figures to eat and drink.

I would also take Pat to what I called MY CC -- Fox's. We would then end up on one or the other's front porches, drinking Middleton and talking investments, football, and how being single cavemen wasn't a bad temporary gig.

Well -- yesterday I embraced my inner sloth -- did nothing except watch college football and then the Marlins on TV. And the Fish clinched a playoff spot! Meanwhile, the Gators lost, which always makes me happy, and Notre Dame nearly did, but they defeated Duke, another school I can't stand, so that was kind of a draw in the schadenfreude department.

Today we're off to Miami Shores, to meet the Ds and their combined 4 men at D2's house, to get a tour of the renovations, which are in full swing. From there, D1 got us lunch from El Bagel, which is supposably, as we say in Miami, the best bagels in the state.

Leave it to D1 -- she said she bought me a can of CelRay soda. She knows it was my Dad's favorite, and I will share some with the older grandson, whose middle name is my Dad's. If he's like most kids -- he won't be fan of that part of his birthright. Celery soda is an acquired taste.

After we see Casa Jonathan /D2, we go to D1 and Joey's. The Dolphins game is at 1, so we'll probably watch that as the energetic little man and baby man play.

Yes -- October is a fine time. I spoke to Paul this am, in NYC visiting his daughter and her kids and husband, and he once again reminded me how lucky I am to have my whole crew in the 305.

I need no reminding. Canes are 4-0, Fins looking to stay undefeated, Marlins in the playoffs, and most importantly I see my whole family today. Who knows -- there might even be a bit of adult beverages.

I plan to remember...the very first day of October...

No comments: