Sunday, October 29, 2023

It Takes A Small City

 So it was a lovely few days in the 305. Thursday dear friend and designer and declutterer Allison came over, with her adorably dog Gummy, who has issues with his gummies. I pre-gamed with her with some Stoli Elit, and then we met Joelle and Kenny at Root and Bone, home of, in my opinion, the best friend chicken and ribs around.

We brought home some of said Southern comfort food to Allison, and continued the party out by the pool in a wonderful evening breeze. Allison is great to have around -- in addition to the work she is doing for us, she is a dear friend and sometimes unwitting mediator to marital discussions. She has a great sense of humor about that.

Yesterday Mirta, my sister of another mister, came by, and we drove the man sized Caddy to Hard Rock for the Canes game. Mike outdid himself in the tailgate department -- made a full clam bake in a boiler he brought, along with frozen margaritas made in a maker powered by a generator. Mirta rarely drinks, but enjoyed said margaritas -- I ended up driving home.

We only stayed to the third quarter, on account of I'm old and like to beat the traffic now. But we made it in time to see the Canes win in OT -- and Mirta and Allison got the chance to catch up. Both ladies left, and the house was strangely quiet, though with a lovely re-done living room that looks like it could be in a design magazine. Allison is talented.

Today I'm going to see my grandsons and say goodbye to their parents -- D1 and Joey are leaving tomorrow am for their first couple's trip since the babies. Wifey has agreed to stay over Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights, along with the nanny Azalia, who has agreed to be a live in for the duration.

D2 is helping, too -- she will be there with Wifey all three days. I plan to supplement this -- Tuesday I'll fetch the Little Man from school, and help get him and his baby brother into their dragon customes --for Halloween. D1 has arranged for trick or treating in Miami Shores -- I think D2 and I will manage the boys, and let Wifey stay home and give out candy as needed.

I plan to return Wednesday -- I figure Wifey will be near exhaustion by then. Even with the help of a nanny, caring for a 15 month old and VERY active little boy, nearing 4, is no job for those of us getting on, as the Brits say.

Thursday, our consuegra Jacqui takes over -- and has the babysitting duties until the parents return Sunday.

D1 prepared a 5 page, single space typed instruction list. I didn't get past the first few lines. Wifey is better at that stuff than I. I have a feeling D2 won't be her usual A student regarding this list, either.

The goal is to provide care and love and return 2 boys to their parents. Naps, diets, activities? Eh.

As I've told D1 -- I of course adore my grandsons -- but figure my real role will come when they're older and can share my wisdom and keen sense of humor -- as well as participate secretly in the planned conspiracies I have in store in contravention of their parents' wishes. I mean -- otherwise -- what fun is being a Grandpa?  I have already recruited Tio Jonfin in this endeavor. He looks forward to being an able participant, as well.

Hopefully all goes smoothly with this D1 and Joey trip, and then we can focus on the sibling reunion beginning 11/8. It's a busy time -- the guests should be checking out 11/12, and then T Day is soon upon us -- early this year, 11/23 this year. Wifey and I are hosting, and she has already ordered from Les, the affable caterer we used last year to great result.

Meanwhile -- I plan to get back to the only thing that seems to make sense in this crazy time -- a time of war in Israel, and total absurdity here at home -- with Palestinian supporters closing the Brooklyn Bridge and shouting Fuck the Police!

The only thing that makes sense is savoring each moment -- maybe some Springsteen for my ride to Shorecrest for the time with the little guys.

And then Dolphins in the afternoon -- another win?

It's nice to be part of the Small City of D1...


No comments: