Monday, October 23, 2023

Football, Lazy Weekend

 So we fired up the man sized SUV at 5 on Saturday, and in 40 minutes we were parked at Joe Robbie Stadium. I brought my fifth of Absolut, and Mike was just two rows over, and Wifey and I caught up with him and his boy Chris and old friends Wes and Stephanie.

Wes is a retired FPL engineer who now lives in Stuart, and married late. Stephanie is lovely -- a teacher there, with a high school senior son, who adores his step father. They just bought an RV and have been taking it around, joking that when they returned, they feared they'd need an RV sales dealer and divorce attorney -- they needed neither.

Freddy and Bruce came by -- Freddy is our dear friend Alyssa's husband -- and we talked of their long European sojourn. Everyone asks them about having kids, but they sure seem to be enjoying their kid free life, so who knows.

After a bit we tackled the pedestrian bridge over the F1 track, and found Barry's crew -- Josh, their friend Brian in from NY, and Scott, in from DC. The running joke is that Scott is a curse on the team -- he LOVES the Canes, but whenever he flies in for a game, they seem to lose. Fortunately, the curse ended, as they beat Clemson in Double OT.

But for me, the real reason for the season is the tailgate -- catching up with friends and celebrating. Donna was there, adoring her boys, and later Paul came by with his nephew Grant, and boy Alex, the world's busiest man. Truly. He is Dad to two, about to be three, and is consigliere to a pharma company he founded. But Canes are his break, and it's always terrific to see him enjoying some down time.

Up in da Club, at halftime, Wifey saw Eric and Dana and some of their old friends. They were all happily shocked to see Wifey -- she rarely attends.

After 3 quarters, it looked like the team was going to lose, and I suggested we bug out. Last late game we got stuck in the lot and not home until 1 -- Wifey happily agreed. We cruised home just in time to see overtime, and the Canes excellent win. Wifey said she would indeed go once per season.

Yesterday I embraced my inner sloth. I walked past the front gate exactly once --- to wheel out the trash bin. Otherwise it was a day of naps and NFL, including watching the Fins lose to the Eagles. Eh -- what are ya gonna do?

This week I'm sure there'll be some grandson activities, and Wednesday I have a VERY early event up in Pembroke Pines -- the bris of a new baby! Jonathan's sister had her second child, and the bris is called for 830 am. Wifey politely begged off -- she just doesn't do mornings anymore, and I said I would happily represent us at the simcha.

The baby's name will be revealed. Turns out Jonathan's grandfather was Andor -- D2 and D1 and I LOVE that name -- to me it sounds like a Marvel hero. We're hoping the little guy gets that moniker, but doubt he will -- maybe a derivation, like Andrew. We shall see.

But football season continues. Next Saturday Mirta is my date for the Canes/Grapes. The game is 3:30, which I truly prefer -- me who likes to sleep early.

A few days later, D1 and Joey are off on a couples' trip to the Bay Area. Wifey is committed to sleeping over 3 nights, and our consuegra Jacqui for another 3 nights. If HRC was correct, and it takes a Village to raise a child, well, D1 and Joey have a small city.

Our time includes Halloween -- the boys will dress as a big dragon and a little dragon. The challenge will be keeping the candy collected away from the Little Man.

After the Cali adventure, we'll host the family reunion here. D2 remarked she wished she had a dollar for every time I brought up it may be the last time my sisters and I are all together at the same time. Yes -- I keep harping on that because I think it may well come to pass.

And I have to remember that D2 inherited my ability to listen carefully when people talk -- a very annoying habit!

So for now, outside for the several mile walk. I have to keep moving -- it's too easy to become one with the sofa. Luckily -- no football on today.

No comments: