Thursday, October 12, 2023

Crisis in Israel

 So Saturday night I brought poor Kenny to what turned out to be the worst Canes loss in history -- blowing the game on a play where we just needed to run out the clock. But much worst events were happening at the same time -- Hamas terrorists were invading Israel.

It was awful -- these jackals killed babies and grandmas -- sleeping in their houses. Of course, Israel struck back, with vengeance, and now it's total war -- the first war there in 50 years, since Egypt and Syria tried to kick the Jews out and ended up much worse than when they started.

This time, it appears Iran is the head of the snake -- doing what they can to prevent Israel and Saudi Arabia from becoming official allies -- they know SA won't sign off while Israel is killing Arabs -- even very evil ones.

But I thought back to a talk I had with my father in law -- an Independence War veteran, back when Israel was ceding control of Gaza and the West Bank to the Palis. I thought he was opposed -- he shockingly said it was a good idea. "Let them try to govern themselves. If they act up -- Israel simply takes back control. I fought Arabs. I know Arabs. They're too stupid to ever beat us -- even with help from other countries."

His words now seem prescient, as indeed Israel is about to say, in Gaza at least, "I'm de Captain now."

Still -- there's a pall over everyone lately -- especially my Ds. They have many connections to Wifey's native land -- relatives and friends living in Israel -- and a massacre at a concert where the jackals killed hundred was exactly the type of festival they might have attended if they were there.

I remain strangely a bit detached. I guess being "married to the Holocaust," as I have been nearly 37 years, has immunized me a bit.

Deep down, I know Israel will prevail, and hopefully there will even be greater stability after Hamas is eliminated.

Tuesday night, D1 and Joey had tickets for a Disney show at the Arscht. Wifey and I were to attend, but Wifey got sick, and Tuesday afternoon got a bit scary sick -- she fell the night before, and nearly fell again. I begged off the Disney event -- D1 and Joey gave the tickets to a friend and her daughter, and they had a terrific time.

Wifey refused to see our doctor, but thankfully seems a bit better today.

Meanwhile, last night, D2 came with Betsy, and Allison was here with her furry son Gummy -- so called since he has few teeth. We brought in Platea -- steak and ceviche and chicken, and Allison and I acquitted ourselves with Eleven vodka, while D2 did a number on a Stags Leap Chardonnay I had chilling. We laughed -- a lot -- there may have even been a bit of peeing in panties.

In cleaning out, Allison found some petrified toast in Wifey's bra drawer. The origin story of that is better left unexplained. Also, we had a drawing on the wall, and Wifey told D2 and Allison it was a drawing of the house where her grandfather grew up in Poland -- except it wasn't. It was Dalhousie Castle, a place we stayed in Edinburgh, Scotland. It was a bit of you had to be there, but being there caused belly laughter.

D2 left with Betsy a bit ago, so now our house has only three misfit dogs. I have tentative plans to see Dr. Barry tonight -- his wife and sister have decamped to DC to see Pitbull and Scott. Yes -- the fact that they travel to D.C. to see Mr. 305 is the source of nonstop humor as well.

Humor is essential these days -- more than usual.

Hopefully there's good weather news: a real cold front is supposed to cross in next week, giving us temps that begin with a 6 for the first time in many months. Hope it happens.

In the meantime, I keep asking the Big Man for help with our peeps. I've donated to a few IDF charities -- to help them, as Archie Bunker said, kicketh the crappola outta the enemy.

What a word...what a world...

No comments: