Monday, October 16, 2023

Friends In High Places

 So when we bought Villa Wifey, it came with a clay, barrel tile roof, which the inspector said is considered a "50 year roof." Well, it turns out the tiles last, but the REAL roof, the paper below which is the real waterproofing, can't last nearly that long.

Fortunately, our roof has served us well. After Hurricane Wilma, which came through as a strong Cat 2/weak Cat 3, the roof only had a few broken tiles -- or so I thought! The roofer showed me -- the force of the wind has broken the concrete seals holding the tiles down, and the entire roof was essentially now loose!

I had always used Andrew Palmer, but in the post Wilma days, they ignored my calls, so I went with a guy named Sean Lilly. I figured he was good, as my neighbor and friend Pat knew him from Riviera CC -- any roofer who could afford that place must know his stuff -- or have inherited well

Lilly took awhile, too, but one day sent out a young fellow -- a nephew taking time off from college who was all American and of normal stature. He worked from dawn to dusk, alone, and re-attached the whole damn roof. I was amazed -- but the kid knew his stuff.

Since then, the only repairs I've needed have luckily not been interior leaks, but rather rotting wood under the large eaves. Andrew Palmer is back -- I called him after a roofer Norman's family recommended, Infinity, did a nice job, but when called back for a future one, tried to charge me four times what he had before!

Anyway, I've done several of these repairs, or had them done -- they have to remove the tiles, replace the rotted wood, and then re-roof the eaves area before replacing the clay tiles. I did some a few years back, and last month noted some rotted wood in the back of the house.

Andrew Palmer sent out a nice, knowledgeable young man, who gave an estimate. We also talked future roof replacement.

He said the metal roofs are truly the only "forever" roofs. I asked him about the metal ones that mimic clay tiles, and he said no -- that design retains water, like my existing clay tiles, and if I'm paying for metal -- go for the best type, even if it takes away the original Mediterranean look of the house.

The good/bad news is that clay tiles have gotten so expensive, metal is now equiavalent in price. I asked him for a ballpark cost to replace the roof. He confirmed what I thought: $125-$150K. So I'll put it off for awhile.

Meanwhile, the friendly guys came right on time today, and are at work sawing and banging in the back. This repair will cost around $6500. Given the soaring increase in house values in Miami Dade -- I have no just complaints. According to several realtors, our house could be quickly sold for 3.5 to 4 times what we paid for it. But I don't plan to sell.

If you want to live in a nice place, you have to pay -- one way or another. Our friends in nice condos pay $3-4K per month in HOA fees. And, following the Surfside disaster, there is new alacrity about requiring the "40 year inspections," lest another tragic collapse happen. If you live in an older building, when the dreaded "Special assessment" comes -- you write a check for six figures -- if not double six figures.

That happened to our friend Cara. She lives in a condo , or lived in a condo, on Venetian Island -- built in the 70s. Her husband paid less than $50K -the value had soared to over $1M. But over the years, the demographic had changed -- from aging Jews to Yuppie gay guys. So when assessment time came, Cara was in for a shock. In addition to needed repairs, the upscale gays didn't try to kill her, like what happened in "White Lotus," but wanted major cosmetic improvements, like a new gym and fancy pool.

When she protested, one said "Maybe it's time for you to move." It was a nasty comment, but good advice -- she indeed sold, and moved to a high rise in Aventura with her major gains.

So you have to pay -- either for repairs/upkeep, or HOA costs. I prefer the former -- at least I get to decide if I want a lagoon-like pool, or not. Reference there to "American Beauty." Wifey is the film buff -- but I think in terms of movies and song lyrics, too.

Luckily, the cold front indeed came in, and this am is spectacular. I plan to meet D2 at D1's house, and from there got to fetch the Little Man. D1 already promised him a stop at Aldi, where he likes the "pink yogurt." We'll spend some time with him and Baby Man, his little brother. Today should be a perfect day for a walk down to the Bay.

Meanwhile, I thank Andrew Palmer's crew for keeping things up to snuff -- at least for now. Good to have friends with ladders.

No comments: