Saturday, October 21, 2023

Black Swan At A Canes Game

 Back in the day, I had 6 Canes seasons' tickets, and would give them away to friends and clients. Probably 5 years ago, I realized that was a waste, and went down to a pair of tickets, plus a parking pass.

My most frequent date is Mirta, my sister of another mister, and this year we met and she picked 3 games she wanted to attend -- she is busy many weekends with her house up in Daytona. This weekend she's there for BikeTober -- she and her man Jay ride Harleys. A Cubana biker chick! Awesome.

Anyway, the rest of the games I typically scramble to give away the second ticket. Wifey never wants to go -- too hot -- and too much of a time commitment. She enjoys seeing the friends at the tailgate, but the games for her -- yawn.

This year Kenny came to one game -- the stupidest loss in team history, to a crappy Ga Tech team -- but we still had a fine time. My buddy Jim was my date at another, and I sent him an extra parking pass I bought. Problem was, it's in the Yellow Lot, across from the Turnpike, and he had to schlep the whole case of beer he contributed to the tailgate a good mile. Fortunately, he's in terrific shape -- I would have left the damn thing back at my car.

Barry's needed an extra ticket, and I gave him one -- but tonight a black swan has flown into our yard: Wifey is coming!

The weather is cooler, and I told her she need not sit in the seats the whole game. We have Club seats, and she can retire to the air conditioning if she likes, and play on her cell phone when the game gets boring or her back acts up. But I'm happy she's going.

The stadium is a 40 minute drive away, and as I age, the trip alone is less and less fun. Plus, if I have that extra drink or so at the tailgate, well, driving home is out. So Wifey may be designated driver tonight as well.

It's funny -- I still well remember my mentor and friend Ed -- Mike's Dad. He was the Canes fan supreme -- hosting players at his house when the team was away and the freshmen didn't get to go -- before the NCAA put a stop to that practice.

When Ed got to be in his late 50s, he would often skip Orange Bowl attendance in favor of watching at home. I was incredulous. "But Ed -- it's going to be so fun!" But age dictated comfort, and he would only ocassionally make the trek. I now understand.

But tonight we're making the drive, and looking forward to it. The Canes are hot and cold this year, and we host a mediocre Clemson team -- both are 4-2. Hopefully we play well and win -- though I predict a greater than even chance Wifey prevails upon me to leave early to beat the traffic.

At the Ga Tech debacle, Kenny and I got trapped in the lot, and I didn't get home until 1 am. Typically that's 3 hours past my bedtime!

After tonight, there are only 2 home games left, and Mirta is set for next Saturday -- hosting the Grapes. We call them that because it's UVA, and uva in Spanish is grapes. I have a feeling few in Charlotesville would get the reference.

Then the home finale is Louisville. Maybe Wifey will have such a good time, she'll want in. We'll see. If not, and it's an early game, my backup is to give the tix to my consuegros. They're Colombian, but Ricardo LOVES college football -- and Jacqui enjoys going, too.

But for tonight, I plan to enjoy the sight of the black swan...

No comments: