Thursday, February 1, 2024

Back In The Office

 Nice to make an appearance today, on Brickell, after a several week absence. I stopped on the way at Bagel Emporium and had breakfast, and brought a cinammon bun and black and white cookies for Amanda and Carla. I know what girls like...

I had some mail to go through, and hopefully Stuart will make it in to go over some files. Vince was leaving for lunch as I was coming in -- we can go over stuff, too.

Yesterday was Grandpa Dev Day, after my workout. I fetched the Little Man, and impressed him with a yogurt that had the fruit in a separate chamber in the tub. He found that way cool.

I wanted to take him to visit Tia D2, but she was hosting workers, and thought the Little Man would not help that situation, so we went home, instead, and played in the 'hood.

He is so smart. He uses the pretext of visiting a neighbor's cat to gain cute boy access to their house, where he knows they always keep a tower of chocolate kisses by the door, and he is offered one. Yes -- my grandson is a man after my own heart.

Well, Stu DID make it in, with some morbid news: a cardiologist in Boca, who his friend Steve knows well, dropped dead of a heart attack, at 63.

I texted my group of friends about it, as they already call me "obituary Dave," and sure enough Norman and Eric knew the fellow -- Eric pretty well. He had just become a grandfather the prior weekend -- he will NOT be attending his new grandson's bris.

The Big Man has a way of sending messages. Just last Friday, we were talking on our cocktail Zoom (except for Eric and Dana -- they're among a disturbing number of my friends doing this "Dry January" thing), about the concept of working less as we age.

I am the most fortunate. I was able to ratchet down my hours starting years ago, and miss almost nothing because of work obligations. But my doctor friends, especially, seem kind of stuck with commitments to their careers. For example, one told us any thoughts of planning a vacation with them needed "6 months notice," because of long planned work schedules.

Maybe the poignant loss of a cohort may change that. Poor fellow no longer has schedules months in advance.

Anyway, Wednesday is now typically mah jong day for Wifey. She has been taking lessons, along with our friend Lili, and enjoying it. Joelle and Kenny asked us to dinner, but Wifey was committed to her session, and so I agreed to make a throuple.

I Ubered to Whisk, in South Miami, and met them. Kenny and I had the meat loaf -- it was awesome. It just seemed like a cool, meatloaf kind of night.

I Ubered home, and thought about the doc who dropped who I never met. Eric said he was a truly nice guy. 

I sat outside in the cool, quiet evening, and asked the Big Man to bring peace to his family -- nothing else to do.

Tomorrow night, we're gearing up -- the one day early birthday celebration of D2 -- turning 32 on the Day the Music Died. There'll be a pre game at their new house in the Shores, and then a short drive to The Palm, where D1 and Joey will join us.

Wow. 32. My friend who is renovating D2 and Jonathan's house said she wants to adopt her -- D2 is so smart and charming. Too late -- she belongs to Wifey and me, and of course to Jonathan!

I truly look forward to watching this stage of our kids' lives -- early to mid 30s seems to be when a lot happens -- it did for Wifey and me.

The greatest of riches: time. I plan to savor all of it.

No comments: