Monday, January 29, 2024

The Chill Weekend

 We had a rare grandson-free weekend, but since we get to see them all the time, it was fine. Joey took Little Man to Naples for the opening party of his brother's new soccer team, and D1 spent a lovely day with Baby Man doing local projects and visits.

Mike texted me Friday -- Chris had a wedding and couldn't attend the Pitt game on campus -- was I in? I was, and I fetched Mike, we drove to the U and parked in his preferred spot, and then went into the Hurricane 100 Room for pregame food.

Mike's Dad and his partner Arnie were founders of the new arena, and Mike took over, and part of the benefit is entrance to the room -- there's a bar there, and they serve food during ACC games. Mike is doing Dry January, like a surprisingly high number of my friends -- so no cocktails -- but still a nice time.

We walked past some hip hop guy who had attracted a big crowd, though I had zero idea who he was, and found our seats next to Arnie and Ronnie -- nice to catch up with them. We spied Norman and his Dad Max across the arena -- and it warmed me: Max is 97 and still up to attending. Norman is a lucky son, indeed.

The Canes dominated, and with about 10 minutes left, Mike left -- Loni and Chris and Rachel were fetching him for an early dinner. I watched another 5 minutes, saw the Canes had a comfortable lead, and pulled a classic old man move: leaving early to avoid any traffic. It worked, and the Canes, via WVUM sportscast, began to unravel, but they stayed ravelled enough to win by 4 points.

Sunday I got in my 10K steps, and got a FaceTime from Josh, to share the "vibes" of the Miami Half Marathon after party with me. There was no after party for my walk, but I DID take my first bike ride in awhile -- now that D2 and Jonathan have taken back most of their garage clogging stuff, I have access to the bikes and air compressor again.

I cruised around, savoring my 'hood as I always do, reflecting on those who have come and gone in the 23 years we've lived here. Valentine's Day is approaching, and I always look back on VDay 2001. I set up a table on our front patio, plugged in a boom box, and brought in Di Napoli for Wifey and the Ds, as the dogs slept underneath us. It was a lovely evening, and I felt like a Kennedy in this house I still love.

We're planning another of those this VDay -- with Mike, Loni, Jeff, and Lili. I'll bring in soom Root and Bone and we can toast to all of us being together for now more than 4 decades -- how 3 boys met in grad school and somehow are now Dads to 7 (6 girls and one boy) , granddads to 3, with another due in June.Sunrise, sunset indeed.

Wifey had invited over her friend Ronnie last night, and I brought in the politically incorrectly named Takee Outee, and mixed Ronnie a few cosmos and myself a few clean martinis. We watched the end of the AFC Champ game, and the entire NFC champ game -- Ronnie loves football and drinking and so I love having her as a guest.

This am I drew Dryer Vent duty, on account of Wifey gets up after the fellow wants to come. We haven't had him come with the industrial vacuum to suck clean our duct in years, and I noticed the dryer in, in fact, not drying so well.

Years ago, we had him move the vent connection to a high spot behind the dryer, making for an easier cleanout. Hopefully he doesn't find any missing animals...

D2 told me D1 and her men invader her house yesterday, and they had a lovely time with the boys. I can't describe how happy that makes me -- their closeness. And the Ds are already all over the 'hood -- D2 reported that she spotted a Great Pyranees mix dog walking, and had been previously alerted by D1, who spotted the dog and its owner earlier. 

Yes -- North Dade is where it's at for them, and I love that.

But South Dade remains just fine with me...

No comments: