Sunday, February 11, 2024

Super Bowl Sunday

 Another year passes, and the Dolphins are home for the Big Game. They made it twice while I was in college -- losing both times -- but I sort of figured they'd be there more often. One theory is that their star QB Dan Marino was SO good, he kept them from being bad enough to get good draft picks in the ensuing years. Who knows? All I DO know is I have zero rooting interest today -- other than for good commercials.

I was remembering today how we hosted SB parties in college, and they were epic. One stands out -- SB of 1981 -- Raiders vs. Eagles. We filled our apartment bathtub with ice, and cases of Moosehead beer, and had 3 small black and white TVs set up around for watching.

We packed probably 50 people into that WW II era apartment -- many freshman "Co-eds" as Barry recalls. We're pretty sure that term no longer applies. "They/Them-eds" maybe?

D2 and Jonathan are hosting a SB party in their new house and invited all of us, but I know better than to bring down a millennial party with my old Boomer tuches. Funnily, Wifey is going to be very close to both Ds -- she is driving her friend Ronnie to meet fellow friend Cara at the Miami Shores CC -- a tolerable drive for the now Aventuran Cara.

And I have a single, gentleman caller: Norman. He's coming over to watch -- we'll bring in DiNapoli, and drink, if he wishes. I don't like drinking alone, and will let my man decide -- I told him I have plenty of rye -- his poison -- and beer -- the traditional SB poison.

Man -- those college years seem so in the distant past. Maybe that's because more than FOUR decades have gone by.

I recall another party, the night before the Fins played. There was a silly song out called "Hey Ricky," and we changed the words to "Hey Woodley," the Fins' so-so QB at the time. Then we switched the music to our usual Ramones and smacked the ceiling to "Sheena Is...A Punk Rocker."

Good times, as David Lee Roth sang. Damn good times.

I guess one of the tricks to this old age thing is pushing yourself, and those around you. For example, travel is something I can easily do without. I feel like Johnny Cash: "I've been everywhere, man." and truly no place has any great pull. Rather, I focus on the hassles of modern travel -- even when you fly Business or First.

Luckily, Wifey still has the bug, as do friends. Two weeks from Wednesday, we're to fly to Barbados with Joelle and Kenny, and spend two nights there. We then get on a cruise ship and sail back to Miami. I'm sure it'll be a fine time, but left to my own lazy devices, I'd probably have skipped.

Yesterday Jeff asked if I was going to our Rabbi's 8th of 9 kids Bar Mitzvah. Wifey and I go to weddings, brit milahs, and funerals, but avoid Bar Mitzvahs unless we're VERY close to the child.

Jeff asked why I didn't just go with him, and I told him honestly I don't have patience for that stuff. He asked what I DID have patience for. The answer is precious little.

The good news is that when I'm with my friends, they can feel confident I truly wish to share their company -- no more attending functions out of obligation -- unless there's a subpoena involved, and luckily I don't foresee many of those.

So as for this SB Sunday: go team! And go friendships!

No comments: