Saturday, February 3, 2024

Happy 32 D2!

 So we had plans -- pregame at D2 and Jonathan's, then to The Palm for dinner. I had to give some paperwork to Paul, and he had asked when I was coming up "north." I told him Friday -- he could meet me at D2's for the exchange, and share a cocktail for her birthday.

He didn't want to crash the party, but of course D2 and Jonathan welcomed him. Some people freak out when someone uninvited shows up -- it happened to Paul years ago. But thankfully not my family -- Paul and Patricia were invited for the whole evening.

They got a tour of the new casa, and loved it. Paul brought 2 bottles of red -- to see if anyone could tell the difference between the disparately priced bottles. Jonathan poured me a fine martini -- Wifey would drive to the restaurant.

D1 and Joey were running late on account of the boys -- but met us minutes after we sat down in the crowded Palm. D2 also suggested the Surf Club, but it was sold out. I was happy it was the Palm -- I love that place -- best steaks in Florida other than Bern's in Tampa, simple sides, well poured cocktails.

The place was buzzing, and Wifey asked if we could move to a quieter section. We could not -- and I was again glad -- the place was so festive. A large lawyer man, Lee came by to say hello. D1 knew his family and several other guests. I used to by the networker around town -- D1 had become me 3.0 -- she knew two other parties there, including the wife of a judge.

I asked Michele how long her husband had been on the bench, figuring he was a rookie I didn't know. "13 years." Yeah -- I'm passed prime -- no idea who the fellow was.

We feasted -- shared a prime rib, two steaks, and a fish -- as well as a multitude of sides. They had the Ds favorite for dessert -- carrot cake -- and the boys night out at the next table joined in the singing. It was that kind of night -- as I sat there, I tried to think of anywhere else in the world I wished to be, and then I saw beaming D2 and realized the answer was a resounding NO!

Today she actually turns 32. We FaceTimed (tm) after I sent her my usual email. She and Jonathan are having friends over tonight for Steve's Pizza -- a venerable North Miami spot just north of the Shores.

Wifey and I talked in bed after I brought her her am coffee, reminiscing about D2's life. She was a tough toddler -- a "hardship," as Wifey said, which has become family lore now.

Wifey said if she just knew how amazing her daughter would turn out, she would have felt less oppressed in those years from 1993-1996. Oh well -- no going back.

I always knew. I have snippets of memory about her when I knew she wasn't the average bear -- like when she took a call from a friend in grade school and said "It's ok -- tell me all about it -- we'll figure out a solution."

One of the FaceBook posts today was from an early friend's Mom. D2 hasn't seen her daughter in over a decade, and the Mom wrote "I was thinking about you, D2, and how I love you and always will."

Yeah -- D2 left and leaves a mark on people.

Our friend, handling her house's renovation, told me she wants to adopt her -- Jonathan, too. I told her Wifey may be open to negotiation -- but don't mess with Jonathan's Mom -- she's the sweetest -- but has a tough side, too...

I wish my precious second daughter many more years of good health and the wonder of life. If she gives us grandkids, in addition to the enormous puppy one -- well, I wouldn't complain about that, either.

Regardless, I love and adore this accomplished young woman. Happy birthday, D2!

No comments: