Friday, February 16, 2024

Latest On Health

 Well, first of all, Valentines Day was lovely. I poured cosmos for Loni and Lili and Wifey, lit the firepit, and had to call an audible. Root and Bone wasn't taking Uber Eats orders for VD, and so I switched to Platea -- Peruvian steak and ceviche. They came late, which caused us all to drink more, but it was terrific. And Lili made a guava cheesecake which was amazing. Cheesecake -- the classic dessert from my Askhenazi youth, with guava, classic to Lili's Cuban heritage. A glorious mosaic!

Wifey quizzed Loni and Mike and Jeff and Lili about their new second houses. Lili and Jeff bought a townhouse in New Haven, to be close to their granddaughter, and the fact that their son in law is a little nuts and makes staying at the big house Jeff and Lili helped pay for untenable. They realize that the kids might well move out of New Haven, and then they'll have a new townhouse in a town not exactly in a place to visit, other than to attend Yale or visit family -- but figure real estate is a decent investment, and they can always sell at a profit.

Loni and Mike bought in far west North Carolina -- closest city, about 20 minutes away, is Chattanooga, TN. Wifey asked the attraction, and Loni explained it was just to get out of the tensosity that is Miami. But what do you DO there? Wifey persisted. Mike answered that they get together with fellow Florida ex -pats and meet for drinks and dinner. Oh, Wifey noted -- sort of like we're doing right now?

Hey -- I love when my friends buy other houses, and truly savor visiting them. But Wifey and I agree 100% -- it has zero appeal to us. We'd rather visit, be pampered by a hotel staff, and leave with only our memories and photos -- no worrying about maintainence or anything of that sort.

So the evening ended well, and yesterday I decided to call my doc -- to check on some VERY mild headaches I've had for a few weeks. I assumed right away it was glioblastoma, the always fatal brain cancer, just making its first presence felt in my noggin.

Yes -- it's one of my mental illnesses. I enjoy surprisingly good health for an overweight old guy, and am happy, until I get some subtle symptom, and then I'm checking my will and trust documents.

I had similar mild headaches 10 years ago, and my neighbor Jose, an eminent neurologist at UM, actually gave me a neuro exam at our house -- as D2, home from college, watched and rolled her eyes. Since my symptoms WERE vague and strange, he ordered an MRI, the first I ever had. I liked it -- of all things the music I selected was Lou Reed and Iggy Pop, and I mentally sang along to "The Passenger" as the machine clinged and clanged.

Fortunately, it was the classic "We examined your head and found nothing."

A few years after that, I had belching that wouldn't quit. I decided it was pancreatic cancer -- I think Mayo Clinic online listed belching as one of the symptoms. I saw Neil Rosenkrantz, now retired, and sure enought, I DID have something: H. Pylori! But unlike pancreatic cancer, which would have given me at most 4 or 5 years, the h. Pylori cleared up with a week of "triple therapy" - 3 drugs.

So yesterday I was convinced the brain cancer may have this time really come. I called Dr. Rigo, and spoke to Nurse Nancy, who has dealt with me for close to 30 years now. Could I come right in? I was at a workout, and told Jonathan I needed to leave early.

I arrived and joked that I expected good service with MDVIP. I called at 830 am and they were seeing me at 940 -- couldn't they have found a sooner appointment????

Dr. Rigo saw me and examined me. Sure enough, I have some slight sinus inflammation -- and although sinus headaches are to the front, it could be tension. My ears were pretty wax clogged, and Nurse Nancy cleaned me out.

Dr. R said brain lesions cause other symptoms -- was I speaking any gibberish? I told him that last week I had blurted out "Go Gators!" for no reason -- was that evidence of damage? He's a fellow Cane and doubled over in laughter.

So it appears I may have dodged another anxiety caused bullet. For now...

Meanwhile, with my new lease on life, we drove to fetch Little Man. We took him home and D2 came over with Betsy -- and we spend a delightful afternoon petting local cats (Milkshake was not too happy about Betsy's presence), and playing basketball with Mason, one of Little Man's friends. Mason's Dad Matt came home, and showed us the set up for his son -- a mini bench for weightlifting! Matt is very athletic, and D1 noted he was "building clones."

We came back home as the sun was setting, and played with Baby Man before his bath. It was so lovely.

Jonathan had worked at home, and D2 said we could get dinner together. Jonathan suggested a favorite: New Schnitzel House on 79th Street.

Joey came home, and I told him I had good news and great news to share with him. The good news was that his annoying suegros were leaving. The great news was that they were sending delicious food home with D2 and Jonathan after dinner.

He took the news well.

We had a great dinner, and Wifey drove us home. I fielded a call from Boston Sheryl -- her 92 year old Dad needs a hip replaced! We gave her the name of the guy at Baptist who has done 4 people we know, but her Dad lives in Aventura -- did we know anyone there? We did not.

Sheryl is worried her Dad may not be around much longer. He's 92!!!!! I would sign a contract this very moment to make it there, given reasonable health!

That would mean no pancreatic cancer or glioblastoma. My anxiety will be around, regardless.

No comments: