Sunday, February 4, 2024

Minyan Man

 Religious Jews require that 10 men be present for many important prayers, and my friend Rabbi Yossi is indeed a religious Jew.

Dating back to the early years of our friendship, now going on 30 years, he would call me if they were a fellow short, and if I was free, would drive over to his storefront shul, across from Miami Dade College South, to be the 10th. I called myself the Relief Jew, and it was a nice time for reflection and brotherhood, though the prayers in Hebrew were well beyond my ken.

For many years, my services weren't needed, but lately they are again. Last year, I asked my friend Jeff if he would become a relief prayer-er too, and he agreed. Though Jeff is VERY Reform (the Woody Allen joke is that the rabbi at his congregation is a Nazi), he came along -- mostly because he wanted to properly say kaddish, the prayer for the dead, for his very close cousin Noah, who died very young.

Well, Jeff, or Pinchas as the dudes there call him, on account that it's his Hebrew name, became a regular. In fact, though Yossi asked and received a sizeable pledge from us towards the completion of the new Center, he said bringing Jeff into the fold was more important. I don't know if I truly believe that.

Anyway, today as I was drinking coffee, I got the text -- could I make it? I had no just reason to refuse, and so agreed. I texted Jeff -- I usually drive him over -- but he was already busy with his own congregations "Mitzvah Day." In fact, D1 and her men are due to attend -- they're packing kids for inner city school children,  I believe.

So I drove over on my own.

I chatted with the nice assembled fellows -- a United Nations of Jewish dudes. I met a new guy, from France, along with the usual assortment of Latin Jews. Rabbi Yossi had a young visiting Yeshiva student help me with the tefillin -- his accent was clearly Midwestern US -- Chicago, I guessed correctly.

The prayers were recited, and I followed along as best I could in the English translation. But mostly I lost myself in the reflection of how many thousands of years my forefathers read the same stuff. It is truly powerful.

I said goodbye to Roy, an 80 something fellow I've known since I met Yossi. He's a retired carpenter, who donated a lot of his talents to the shul. He's an original "Miamuh" guy, too -- I always enjoy his courtliness. He remembers the Ds as little girls, and asks after them -- I showed him pictures of the now grown women and the 2 grandsons!

So I figure, like chicken soup for a cold, this going to minyan can't hurt. I asked the Big Man for continued good health for my nearest and dearest. May He grant my prayers.

The balance of Sunday holds little in the way of plans. Wifey is fast asleep. I'll try to get a long walk in before the coming rains. A nap may be in store, probably with a snoring Spaniel on the couch with me.

This week Wifey is headed up to D1's -- she and Joey are taking a stay-cation in Vero Beach, and Wifey and our consuegra Jacqui are taking turns with the grandsons. I'll hold down the dog-fort here -- probably get up to see the Little Man and Baby Man, too.

And, if called upon, will remain a Relief Jew -- Minyan Man...

No comments: