Tuesday, February 13, 2024

El Dia De Amor

 So tomorrow is St. Valentine's Day, and in theory a Jewish guy with a Jewish wife shouldn't have any dealings with a Catholic holiday, right? Ha. As if. Other than the observant -- try ignoring Valentine's with a Jewish girlfriend or wife -- and see how that works out for ya.

Plus, I love it -- the holiday brings out the romantic in me. Over the years Wifey has said it wasn't directed really to her -- I would be romantic no matter WHO my wife was. Hmmm. Like many things she says, I found that inscrutable.

Anyway, two of my favorite VDs came here at Villa Wifey. The first was VD 2001 -- shortly after we moved in. I was totally in love with this house -- living here was beyond any dream I ever had as a kid in the sameness of Wantagh/Levittown split levels.

I set up a table in our front courtyard, and brought out the Ds' boom box, and put in a CD of romantic songs. I set a folding table up, brought in pizza and pasta from DiNapoli, and toasted Wifey and the Ds. I felt like a man who had arrived, surrounded by his beloved Wifey and daughters. It was delightful.

A few years later, our friends Susan and Pat had moved in across the street, and expanded the VD celebration to include couples. As I recall, it was Maureen and David, Susan and Pat, Mike and Loni, and us. The Ds were our happy servers -- bringing the takeout food and desserts out to us, as this time, I had installed speakers under one of the loggio.

Also, since I was in the chips, I had bought nice bracelets for each of the women guests, and hid them under their dishes. After a champagne toast, I had them lift the plates, and they beamed. Yeah -- I did dig romance.

Some years we've gone to Christy's. Other years to other romantic places, but the truth is I enjoy hosting at Villa Wifey most of all.

This year we invited Loni and Mike, and Lili and Jeff to join us. The weather promises to be perfect, and I plan to host out by the pool, with a roaring firepit. I'll bring in Southern food from Root and Bone -- I think they have the best fried chicken and ribs in town.

Today, after my workout, I stopped at Total Wine and bought 2 different bottles of champagne -- and sent all the guests photos of the bottles, to start the mood early.

It's funny. I met Wifey, Loni, Mike, and Jeff all in 1983. Lili came around later -- I think in 1985. So we've all been friends near or more than 4 decades -- in our early 20s (mid 20s in Wifey's case).

We all married around the same time, and began our careers. D1 was the first child of the group, and D2, Amanda, and Melinda following in 1992. Samantha and Chis followed, and Alana was the 7th of their generation.

Wifey and I have 2 grandsons, Lili and Jeff a granddaughter, and Loni and Mike due to join the GILF club in June.

It's really something to consider -- 3 couples of young friends all grandparents, or nearly so.

That time really does keep flowing like a river...to the sea.

So I'll pour the champagne, with some ginger ale for the teetotaling Jeff, and we'll toast the years of our friendship -- and our love.

D1 and Joey celebrated last night -- at the New Schnitzel House near them -- a place romantic, despite its name. D2 and Jonathan have deemed this year's VD superfluous, as they are spending tons of money on their new house.

But here in Pinecrest, hopefully love will spring still, over and past the decades. El Dia de amor -- pretty, pretty, pretty nice.


No comments: